• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My New Fish

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Got bunch of new dwarfs, mostly apisto's
here are some pics

Apistogramma steindachneri:
Picture030-4.jpg

Picture031-5.jpg

Picture032-5.jpg

Apistogramma hongsloi:
Picture028-5.jpg

Picture027-4.jpg

Picture022-5.jpg

Picture024-2.jpg

I was hoping these were females but unfortunately I think I got all males. Take a look and tell me what you think:
Picture016-7.jpg

Picture003-14.jpg

Picture010-8.jpg

Apistogramma agassizii:
Picture040.jpg

Picture037-1.jpg
Picture042.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Apistogramma nijsseni:
Picture029-3.jpg

Picture028-4.jpg

Picture020-5.jpg

Picture026-4.jpg

Picture022-4.jpg

Picture021-5.jpg

Apistogramma viejita:
Picture016-6.jpg

Picture014-7.jpg

Picture010-7.jpg

Nannacara anomala:
Picture003-13.jpg

Picture034-2.jpg

Picture032-4.jpg

I also got a pair of Crenicichla regani but have't been able to get a good picture of them.
The Nannacara and Viejita are already in breeding colors, so hopefully I'll have fry soon!

Pat

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice fish, Pat, but some are mis-identified. Your "A. steindachneri" are actually an eunotus-complex species. I can't be sure which from the photos. Your "A. viejita" are commonly sold under that name, but are actually a domestic form of A. macmasteri. Your "N. anomala" look like N. aureocephalus to me; a rarer and more desirable (expensive) species.

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike.
Since you are "the expert" I was hoping you could help me out. After reading your post I searched and searched to try and find out the differences in what I have and what I am suppose to have. Boy is there a lot of confusing info and pictures out there!
I did find a post by you at the krib describing the differences in the A. macmasteri and A. viejita so I’m good there.
Could you describe the differences between N. anomala and N. aureocephalus?

From doing research on the A. steindachneri I see I’m missing the spot on the side (caudal spot?), although some descriptions say it may not be there, is that true?
Here are some better pictures; I was hoping you could ID it for me.

Picture004-12.jpg

Picture003-15.jpg

Picture002-13.jpg

Picture005-10.jpg

Picture001-13.jpg

By the way, I am very happy with my fish, whatever they are, but if they do have fry and I sell them, I would like to sell them as the proper fish.
I also bought them from an online retailer, does it make any sense to contact them and let them know, as they are still selling them on there web site and aquabid under the names sold to me?

thanks in advance
Pat

Ruki

5 Year Member
Your "A. steindachneri" are actually an eunotus-complex species. I can't be sure which from the photos.
For me male and female are two different species.
Male has weird proportions, especially long head(which doesn't look for me like a head of species from eunotus-complex because of location and shape of mouth). For A. steindachneri this fish has too much distinct coloration, fins in other shape(A. steindachenri has a lyretail and high dorsal fin), and caudal spot should be a round, not oval.
Female on those photos looks different from male, but she isn't very visible at them. So pmcbar, can you take some photos of her?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. steindachneri will show a large triangular spot (flank blotch) on the middle flanks of the body at some time. It is larger than the lateral band and extends above it toward the dorsal fin. As Lukasz wrote, A. steindachneri has a much higher dorsal fin (male) that shows a serrated top, more like your A. macmasteri. Your fish does not show a flank blotch - nor even a lateral spot (a larger blotch on the 3rd vertical bar). Most apistos show a lateral spot - except species of the regani-lineage: regani- (includes Apistogrammoides), macmasteri-, borellii- and alacrina-groups. I still think it is an eunotus-complex species, but the photos don't show enough diagnostic black markings to identify the sub-complex (let alone the species). Photos of the male in subdominant/fright dress (showing vertical bars) as well as photos of the female would probably help. Do you know if these are wild fish or tank bred?

The caudal spot is the spot at the root of the tail; the lateral spot is the spot in the middle of the lateral band (on Bar 3).

"N. anomala" and N. aureocephalus are easy to distinguish. Look at the scales on the flanks of the body. If the scales are darker in the center and the edges are lighter, then this is "N. anomala". If, however, the scales are lighter in the center and the edges are darker, then this is N. aureocephalus.

Hope this helps and enjoy your fish!

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Hey, thanks for all the help so far.
I do not think they are wild caught, as he lists his wild caught fish in a different section.

Here are some more pictures

Picture005-11.jpg

Picture004-13.jpg

Picture002-14.jpg

Picture028-6.jpg

Picture025-4.jpg

Picture021-7.jpg

Picture020-7.jpg

Picture014-8.jpg

Picture031-6.jpg

2 more of the male

Picture009-4.jpg

Picture008-9.jpg

Ok now I'm off to figure out Nannacara I have

Pat

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Additional photo's.
I tried to to get pictures of them in fright mode, I don't know if they help or not, but since "film" is cheap here goes:
Chased them around a little and then caught him in a net.
Picture001-14.jpg

Picture007-12.jpg

Picture003-16.jpg

Picture004-14.jpg

Picture006-10.jpg

Female trapped in the corner
Picture002-15.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, now I see why we are so confused! Your 'female' actually is a young male A. steindachneri. The male, however, appears to be a cruzi-subcomplex form. It looks like one of the poplations of A. sp. Putumayo, probably the Algodon II/Galaxy form. These forms, from the rivers of northern Peru, are not clearly understood. I'm not even sure if we are dealing with just one or many closely related species.

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Thanks a bunch Mike, I really appreciate your help.
When they first arrived I thought they were a male and female but I started to have my doubts not only in there apperance but in how they were interacting with each other.
Not sure what I'm going to do with them now, but again many thanks

Pat

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(