• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my Apistogramma sp. pebas

mematrix

5 Year Member
100_0273.jpg

100_0270.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that the female is A. sp. Papagei/Parrot. The male probably is, too, but need a better photo (fright patter & full flank view) to say for certain. Pebas & Papagei forms can be confusing.

denilson59

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I think that the female is A. sp. Papagei/Parrot. The male probably is, too, but need a better photo (fright patter & full flank view) to say for certain. Pebas & Papagei forms can be confusing.

do they look like sp nanay?or what are the differences?please

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Which "A. sp. Nanay" do you mean? The species Römer calls Nanay (but comes from the Rio Ampiyacu, over 1,000 km farther downstream from the Río Nanay) is the same fish as A. sp. Papagei/Parrot. The fish first called Nanay (by Melgar), which comes from the Río Nanay, is an entirely different species. The first difference is the obvious shape of the caudal spot. On Melgar's Nanay the caudal is more square, while on Römer's Nanay (= Papagei) it is a double spot. The Papagei fish is stouter, has slightly longer & higher dorsal fin, and clear pectoral fins. The pectorals on the original Nanay (Melgar's) so far are always yellow.

mematrix

5 Year Member
some more pics

here Mike are some more pics I am sure thease are pebas because the guy i got them from collected them from the drainage behind pebas/pevas in S.A. his name is Dr Davis schleser.
A.Pebas
PICTpebaspr.jpg

PICT1836.jpg

PICT1911.jpg

PICT1878.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I based my ID on the shape and size of the caudal spot on the female, as well as her having only 2 prominent flank spots, on Bars 3 & 4, when in breeding trim. Females of A. sp. Pebas show 4 - 5 spots, on Bars 3 - 7, when in breeding trim and a smaller caudal spot. Male A. sp. Papagei do not have rows of spots on the caudal fin, while A. sp. Pebas males sometimes have a few rows. Although fuzzy, I think I see some rows of spot toward the base of the tail. Or is it wishful thinking?
icon11.gif
I have all of the respect in the world for Dr. Schlesser, but apisto ID is not a specialty of his. He has even sent me fish & photos for ID. A. sp. Pebas & Papagei come from the same general area in the Rio Ampiyacu. All of this being said, these 2 species are very closely related & there is even the possibility that they are geographic populations of a single species (I personally doubt it).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Male A. sp. Papagei do not have rows of spots on the caudal fin, while A. sp. Pebas males sometimes have a few rows. Although fuzzy, I think I see some rows of spot toward the base of the tail. Or is it wishful thinking?

I left out a sentence: If your male has spots in the caudal, it most likely is A. sp. Pebas & you might have 2 different species represented here.

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to mike

Thanks I understand what you are saying. And I also have heard that the 2 species may be a realted or same species just fom diferent collection areas thanks.

Curtis

mematrix

5 Year Member
to mike

Mike Wise said:
I left out a sentence: If your male has spots in the caudal, it most likely is A. sp. Pebas & you might have 2 different species represented here.

the photos are of the same fish the wild pr OI got from Dave schleser and they are a breeding pr.

Sincerely Curtis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….