• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my Apisto. Trifaciata Spawn need help?

VUE

5 Year Member
My Apisto.Trifaciata spawned 5 days ago.. They were pretty smart and a small shell was the place they chose. The fish are in a 85 gal.community was thinking of moving the fry into their own tank, even though the female does a good job at watching them.Anyone with info or has tried this can please give me some info. thanks Vue

farm41

5 Year Member
I have moved mom and fry before. They were in a terracotta pot, I just turned it up and she and the fry stayed in while I transferred them into their own tank filled with water from the tank they came out of. It can be done, a little tricky though.

VUE

5 Year Member
Apisto. Trifaciata

Thanks for the info i will try to move them into their own tank.

skwelch

5 Year Member
why :?:

surely easier to remove the male if you want the fem and fry to be together

are the apisto's in their own tank?
i normally just leave em to it :roll:

fishgeek

Similar problems for me , although i was unaware that my fish had spawned
Had a trio in a 2ft long tank with perhaps some 30 juvenile cory fry and was looking to move the trifaciata on to more suitable breedniing quarters

It was only when i had all 3 of the trio out of the tank and floating around new quarters that i looked under the little terracotta pot ,that i had left sitting on top of the tank for some 10-15 minutes!! to see egg's

I have replaced the pot in the water of the new tank(dont think the fry would have stod a chance with that many cory's), it is signifcantly softer similar pH and no Nitrogen in any form readable on my tests

My questions are
1 can the eggs survive a period exposed as long as they haven't dessicated
2 will the softer water worry the egg's , i would have assumned they are hardier than fish, perhaps i am wrong
3 if mom does not go back to the pot are the fry capable of surviving without parents?

and finally
4 do trifasciata's like a current or still water
the new tank has a large power head driven basic foam filter and a fair current , should i turn this right down?

thanks for any information or opinions on this
andrew

Neil

My questions are
1 can the eggs survive a period exposed as long as they haven't dessicated

Yes, but that is a long exposure to air.

2 will the softer water worry the egg's , i would have assumned they are hardier than fish, perhaps i am wrong

It is possible that trifasciata eggs will handle this change, but it is not desirable. And, in combination with the exposure to air, you are pressing you luck!

3 if mom does not go back to the pot are the fry capable of surviving without parents?

Yes, but again, that is not a very hopeful situation. If these fry survive without moms help, you should be most grateful to the fish gods.

and finally
4 do trifasciata's like a current or still water
the new tank has a large power head driven basic foam filter and a fair current , should i turn this right down?

They prefer less current. I would nix the power head and use an air driven foam filter.

Neil

fishgeek

thanks niel
looks like i'll be praying to the fish god's

any tips on keeping air driven filter noise down?

andrew

Neil

Use a strong enough pump that it can deliver the desired air from a long ways away. This way you can put it anywhere you want within reason (like in a cabinet). All you really are out is the extra airline tubing.

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….