• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My A. Bigfoot

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ah, the curse of multiple common names. I'm pretty sure (but not absolutely positive) that the fish you bought as A. sp. Bigfoot is only one of the many color variants of A. sp. Pebas/Ampiyacu/Dolly/Morado/Purple/Noronha (so many names for 1 species!). I would have to see a photo of the female's caudal spot (preferably in brood dress) to be sure. A. sp. Pebas females show 4-5 spots (plus the caudal 'patch') along the lateral band, while brooding. Females of A. sp. Papagei/Parrot show only 2 or 3, plus the caudal patch.

As for A. sp. Frank, I couldn't see the photo. For some reason I was blocked from the site. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised whatever it is. Aquarium Lima once had an "enhanced" picture of A. elizabethae on its web site labled A. sp. Frank.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Hmmm...don't know why the link isn't working. I've probably turned on/off something I shouldn't have. I'll research...

http://www.basementcichlids.com --> New Pics --> there are 3 pictures of apisto frank at the top of the page. Yes, these are from Aq. Lima. I was hoping the fish were as the picture from their site (Elizabethae-ish).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cichlids1,

I got to your web site picture by another method & looked at your "A. sp. Frank" I can't be absolutely positive, but based on the photos of the males, I would say that you have a fish from the cruzi-complex that was originally imported by Aquario Nanay in 1997 as "A. sp. Nanay". It was also discussed under the same name by Koslowski (2002). This is not the same fish that Römer calls A. sp. Nanay (which doesn't even come from the Rio Nanay! 8O) Römer's fish is the same species as A. sp. Papagei/Parrot/Algodon I/Algunas/Galaxis/Galaxy (Don't you just love these multiple names?? :roll:). Your fish has also been sold under the name A. sp. Melgar (owner of Aquario Nanay). If I had a photo of the female, I might be more certain of my ID. Right now, I'd say that I'm 75% certain that you have A. sp. Nanay (sensu Koslowski 2002).

Apistt_ed

I personally think it looks a lot like A. sp pebas also. I did mulitple searches of certain sites Asian and German and it does look alot like pebas. Yes I love the name system also.. hahaha...endless headaches. Well, as soon as I get the female more matured and into a spawning tank, I'd hopefully get some photos of her in brood dress. Thanks mike and all for your input.

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Nice pics!!

Also got some A. sp. BigFoot from David Soaeres. Nice little fish, really nice manered also.

If they are really all those synonyms, I'd be the happiest of Apisto keepers!!
Used to have A. sp. morado in the past, but lost them in one of my movings from one house to another :(

I'll try to take pics of mine and post them to try to ID them!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….