• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More Females Needed?

MHEAD

5 Year Member
I am just starting with Apistos and have 1 pair of cacatoides and 2 pairs of agassizii, each pair alone in its own tank. The male in each tank is constantly chasing and nipping at his mate. Should I add another female to each tank or just leave things as they are? Any advice would be appreciated.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
What about the size of the tanks?
Are they heavy planted?
How many "caves" do you have in each tank?
Is there any other fish in the tanks?

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Jose, thanks for the reply. Each pair is in a 10 gal tank, not heavily planted but with numerous caves and/or hiding places. There are no other fish is each tank. What do you think?

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hey. im new at apistos too and dont even have fish but i was told that it woudlnt be recomended to keep more then a pair in a 10 gallon. perhaps alot more plants would help to break the line of sight (also advice from others) hope i could ahve helped

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

I agree Jose, a 10 gallons tank will be a little bit short for a trio. in the meantime, when the male is harrassing the female, its generally recomended to add one....

Try to plant your tank as much as you can, in one of my small tank that helped a lot

ProF

wickedglass

5 Year Member
A common misconception is that because they're called "dwarves" they don't need a large tank, but in the wild their territories may actually be quite large and also in nature, the victim of an aggressor can just swim away, where in the narrow confines of a small tank such confrontations and constant harrassment may lead to the death of a fish. Which, however, is not to say that they can't be bred in such small tanks.

One strategy that may work (assuming your aim is to breed them and you have another tank to hold the males in) is to allow the females to establish themselves in the breeding tanks first before introducing the males ... condition the girls on a variety of food, especially live foods until they're nice and plump, then put the males in. If they breed the aggression will reverse and you'll have to take the male out again unless you had larger tanks where the males could hide.

Another approach, assuming the males are much bigger than the girls, is to place a cave with a small opening into the tank to allow the girls to escape and hide. If they breed, the male will stay outside the cave and fan his milt in. Fertilisation however is not guaranteed in this case and often results may be unfertilised or only partially fertilised clutches of eggs.

RiC

5 Year Member
I have to agree with taking the male out after spawning; my two males were killed by their females when guarding fry, even if they were in a 15g and a 20g, both extremely planted and with full of hiding places.
Another idea is a divider; this is the option I have chosen here.

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I've often read about removing the male... and I've often read about keeping them as trios...

But my experience has been when I put one male with two females in 20 Gal tanks the females constantly fought until there was only one left. Then she would mate with my male and The male would 'guard' then upper levels of the tank while the female stayed with the fry.

This isn't to say the common suggestions are 'wrong' only that in different cases different things will work...

My first suggestion is to upgrade to 20 Gals as opposed to 10s...

MHEAD

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will try a divider as at present there is no more room for me to upgrade to larger tanks and because of my inexperience when I have tried to heavily plant a tank either the plants have died or all I have grown is algae. Tom (mhead).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….