• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Missing Fish

strohl71

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
78
Location
Detroit Area, USA
I am wondering if anybody else has experienced a "missing fish"?

I have a 38 gallon, heavily planted tank. I noticed that one of my keyhole cichlids had not made an appearance in a couple of days (not even at feeding time). Concerned, I visually inspected the tank from every angle looking for the missing fish. I found every fish in the tank expect the missing keyhole. I had to do a water change anyway, so I took the glass top off and started poking around every plant and tank decoration. I still could not locate the missing keyhole. I searched that tank up and down, moving plants and looking in over the top with a flashlight. I can't find that fish, alive or dead.

I am baffled. Has anybody else out there just plain lost a fish in their heavily planted tank?
 

aspen

Active Member
5 Year Member
Messages
1,033
Location
toronto, canada
i did. i had a pair of rams 1 day and only a female the next. i tore the tank down looking for it a couple of days later, and searched everywhere.

my friend called me up 2 months later, and asked what the shriveled up fish was doing in the camera box, from the camera i'd borrowed.

if it didn't get eaten, it is behind the sofa, under the tv, or has been moved. but i'm no sherlock holmes myself.

rick
 

strohl71

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
78
Location
Detroit Area, USA
Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the area around the tank and still see no fish. My only theory is that my missing keyhole jumped in just the right place and made it through the glass top where the heater and filter holes are. Then the family cat or terrier made short work of the fish. I can't think of anything else.
 

epl4978

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
29
i had the same problem with my apistos i have a trio and when i fed them one day i only had one female and i looked all over my tank which only has one large sword in it and drift wood and could not find the other female or the male. and like a week later the male and females were all in the sword plant i couldnt figure out were the heck the fish could have been because i looked every were for it
 
C

Corymbosa

Guest
I had the same problem with a ram in a heavily planted tank. I hadn't seen him for at least a month so I naturally assumed he'd taken up residence in someones stomach. I'd given up on him and was about to drop the water temp to a more Apisto friendly range when he decided to made an appearance. Black water, Hygrophila and wood are not condusive to finding fish.

While I wouldn't guarantee your keyhole is still in there, a few days absence is definitely not uncommon in my experience and actively looking for it just makes it harder. It could, however, indicate bullying or poor health so if by chance it's still alive you might want to keep an eye on it.

Andrew
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,190
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top