• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mikrogeophagus Thomasii?

gwarnant

5 Year Member
Just spoke to a fish shop I'm planning to visit next week about their stock. They didn't have the particular fish I was looking for but he reeled off a list of Central/South American stuff he'd just had in. When I looked back over my notes one intrigued me: Mikrogeophagus Thomasii. Is there such a fish or have I mistranscribed or misinterpreted my scibbled and abbreviated notes?

Thanks

HaakonH

5 Year Member
There is no fish named Mikrogeophagus Thomasii. However, there is a fish named Anomalochromis thomasi from West-Africa.

Mikrogeophagus/Papiliochromis/Microgeophagus (it varies what name is being used) is a South American genus consisting of 2 species; M.ramirezi and M.altispinosa. They are called "Butterfly Cichlids" around Europe, and A.thomasi is in fact often called "African Butterflycichlid". Perhaps this is the reason for the mix-up?

-Haakon

gwarnant

5 Year Member
thanks

Looking again at my notes and the pictures of the Butterfly cichlid I think the note should have been interpreted as something like "A Thomasii looks similar to Ram" which I had garbled to "M Thomasii looks similar to ..."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….