• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Microgeophagus ramirezi (Identify sex?)

JG

5 Year Member
Just wondering what the majority of you thought the sex of this particular fish is?

HPIM1031.JPG

JG

5 Year Member
In your opinion, what characteristics make this specimen stand out as a female? I tend to think the dorsal fin front tip not being as pronounced but would love to hear what your opinoin is.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
The more rounded rear end of the dorsal fin is the characteristic I use for IDing females. With adult males it has a bit of a point. I have breeding females with very long extensions to the dorsal fin rays. I've also seen stuff on the net about blue dots inside the black spot or whatever but I've found that mood effects that more than anything.
It's normally straightforward with several fish of the same age as the males are noticeably larger. With single fish, and with some of the morphs, it's trickier.

Randall

5 Year Member
Sexing Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Hello Jazzy,

Male Mikrogeophagus ramirezi commonly exhibit jet black midlateral blotches, while those of females are dotted with iridiophores, like in your photo.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
This is a female:

ramfemale.jpg

I know it's a female because I've watched it lay eggs. Note the extended dorsal fin rays and black spot on its side. Note also the rounded rear end of its dorsal fin.

A cyber pint if anybody can correctly identify the fish behind it.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Not easy considering only 1/3 of the fish is visible. My guess is a Nannacara species, possibly N. aureocephalus.

Yes, I'm not sure there is enough visible, plus it's a bit washed out with the camera flash. As a big clue I'll say it's a fairly commonly available apisto and it's a male.

Randall

5 Year Member
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Hello Jazzy,

Based on the iridiophores on the dark blotch, rosy belly and somewhat extended genital papilla, I'd say you have another female...and a gorgeous one at that!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

kross

5 Year Member
mummymonkey said:
Mike Wise said:
Not easy considering only 1/3 of the fish is visible. My guess is a Nannacara species, possibly N. aureocephalus.

Yes, I'm not sure there is enough visible, plus it's a bit washed out with the camera flash. As a big clue I'll say it's a fairly commonly available apisto and it's a male.

Apistogramma borellii...... now, give me a pint. :lol:

JG

5 Year Member
Re: Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Randall said:
Hello Jazzy,

Based on the iridiophores on the dark blotch, rosy belly and somewhat extended genital papilla, I'd say you have another female...and a gorgeous one at that!

All the best,

Randall Kohn
Thanks Randall.

I'm looking to pick up a few more rams and to have a go at breeding them. They've always been one of my favourite fish. Lots of character, color, etc. I have a 20G Long and 10G at my disposal.

If you have any suggestions/tips on breeding them then I'd appreciate your feedback. Might be best to email me [email protected] with the information because this forum doesn't send me auto-reply messages even though I've selected that option.

Thanks,

J 8)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….