• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mesonauta

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
looking for opinions here.....

OK, they might not be dwarfs, but they are close. I just got a very nice group of Mesonauta acora. The males are huge! Over 6" !

My question is if I put them in a 100 gal tank (6 feet long) how heavy would the predate on swordtails? I have my X. cortezi in that tank and I would like the population to grow some. Both groups of fish are aquarium produced and acclimated to neutral water conditions.
I know the best thing to do is not put them in, but that tank is my best option at the moment.
My other option is a 120 gal (4 feet ) tank that was scheduled to house Etroplus canarensis that are ready to come out of quarantine.

so bottom line what opinions on the Mesonauta and Xiphophorus in same tank? is my swordtail population doomed?

Keith

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I kept a dozen Mesonauta acora, the endemic species of the Rio Araguaia, with a group of wild Alenquer Discus for a couple years.
They are a fairly peaceful genus and except for eating the swordtails fry, I do not see any reason why they can't be be kept together.
My M. acora formed several breeding pairs although I did not want more so I did not try to save any. Mine were F1's which were barely one inch when I bought them and they had already begun spawning before they were one year. The Mesonauta spp. are a very nice moderately peaceful Cichlid which don't get overly large.
I sold my group to a fellow wild Angelfish hobbyist.

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
Yeah of course I really already knew this but wanted to fool myself. I think what I will do is provide a divider to a small part of tank that fry can swim to. The "smart" sword fry will figure it out and I can save some.

thanks everyone!
Keith

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The partition method method should work - like the 'egg crating' used on fluorescent light fixtures. The openings are large enough for the swordtails to pass through, but not the Mesonauta. More floating plants on the smaller side of the tank will probably encourage the swords to migrate to that side of the tank.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
The foam filter material swisstropicals.com sells makes a tight and form fitting divider and doubles as a bio-filter if set up right. I highly recommend it's use over "egg crate" light diffuser as it prevents fry from escaping into the dangerous side of a divided tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From what I read, the Swordtails are used as part of a community with Mesonauta. They are not separated. The problem with the foam is that it won't let the fry move to the safe side of the aquarium when born.

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
That is correct Mike. But i think i will use the poret foam between the crate and glass for a better seal and i hope look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….