• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Melanoides tuberculata, eggs eaters?

blucenere

Hello everybody,
i read recently about the malaysian trumpet snails Melanoides tuberculata (i cannot remember the website), that they can eat Apistos eggs during their night raids
Has any of you experience about that?

I am interested in keeping them because of their healty tendency to move the soil.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have them in some of my tanks that have apistos that have bred and raised fry. What you write may be true, I don't know. Maybe the snails in my tank are too stupid or slow to find a spawn!:)

blucenere

Thank you, i read a lot of discording info, mostly from those "data sheets", and very few from personal experiences.
Sometimes i wonder if the person who writes those "data sheets", had first hand experience or copied another data sheet that has been copied from another one and so on...
The only scientific paper i found was about them eating other snails eggs as a mean of biological competition
http://www.aquaticinvasions.net/2012/AI_2012_2_Ladd_Rogowski.pdf

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I haven't had any problem with Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata) eating Apistogramma eggs. I have seen the female removing them from the immediate vicinity of the cave.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
Egg-predation by snails may depend on what other foods are available. If there's a lot of snails in your breeding tanks, you might consider dropping in a few extra Pleco-wafers or other sinking food during the period while dwarf cichlids are guarding eggs. Most snails are opportunistic and could eat fish eggs if other preferred foods are in short-supply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….