• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or female hongsloi?

toltinghorse

Got this supposed pair of a. hongsloi about 2 months ago. Not convinced the supposed female is really female as there has been no willingness to breed shown by the female. Tank is 6.6 pH 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate.

Attachments

• 20230711_132146.jpg
    20230711_132146.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 20230711_132101.jpg
    20230711_132101.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • 20230711_132055.jpg
    20230711_132055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97

MacZ

Is there a definitive male for comparison? And what size is the fish?

Edit: If I see that right the fish has Camallanus-worms. You should treat that.

toltinghorse

Is there a dfinitive male? And what size is the fish?
Yes there is a definitive male- I attached a picture. The male is about 2 - 2.5 or so inches and the other roughly 1.5 inches.

Attachments

• 20230710_222730.jpg
    20230710_222730.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230710_222732.jpg
    20230710_222732.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81

MacZ

Allright, not the wild form.

I'm pretty sure the other one is a female now.

Nonetheless, the fish has a potentially deadly parasite. Explains why breeding is not happening.

toltinghorse

What tells you that it has camallanus worms? I've seen no signs of them- no worms hanging or anything. The thing seen "hanging" in the images is part of her ventral fin. No other fish in the tank show symptoms either.

Last edited:

MacZ

Potentially because if you don't treat the fish will die. They hang from it's anus obviously, which is also a bit swollen. Sometimes the worms are reddish, sometimes clear.

Here you find a list of meds: https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/list-of-meds.25067/

I recommend Praziquantel if the fish still eats, and Levamisole-based meds if it doesn't. Please treat the whole tank, the parasite is contagious.

toltinghorse

Potentially because if you don't treat the fish will die. They hang from it's anus obviously, which is also a bit swollen. Sometimes the worms are reddish, sometimes clear.

Here you find a list of meds: https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/list-of-meds.25067/

I recommend Praziquantel if the fish still eats, and Levamisole-based meds if it doesn't. Please treat the whole tank, the parasite is contagious.
The fish eats normally- I have fritz paracleanse on hand which I believe it is praziquantel based.

MacZ

The fish eats normally- I have fritz paracleanse on hand which I believe it is praziquantel based.
Allright, make sure it does and treat as per instructions. It should clear up in some days. Repeat the treatment 2 weeks after the first to make sure the worms are done for.

toltinghorse

Allright, make sure it does and treat as per instructions. It should clear up in some days. Repeat the treatment 2 weeks after the first to make sure the worms are done for.
It contains both praziquantel and metronidazole, don't think the metro helps with internal parasites though.
Not sure where the worms would have come from.

MacZ

don't think the metro helps with internal parasites though.
It works against Protozoans (Flagellates), but Metronidazole is also an antibiotic which I find not very useful as it breeds multiresistant strains of bacteria over time.

Not sure where the worms would have come from.
Usually they are present at purchase. It can take months until it shows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….