• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

macmasteri vs viejita

S

Snicke

I have a pair that were sold as A.viejita, but after consulting a book and reading about lateral band, caudal spot and dorsal fin, I think they might be A.macmasteri. Here are some photos: http://w1.315.telia.com/~u31514642/1/
I also have nine fry, now two months old.

Randall

5 Year Member
Apisto ID

Dear Snicke,

It's hard to tell from the photos, but if your female has distinctive black markings on her underside, that is characteristic of viejita.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

S

Snicke

They're breeding again, and there are two small, black markings on the underside. Thanks.

Neil

Dave is pretty close to correct here. There are enough color-forms of both these species that it is more a matter of whether you have a nice form than whether you have macmasteri or viejita. Randall was also correct in that the FEMALE viejita has a black marking under her chin (at least mine do). Viejita also seem to be a little tougher to work with (breed) than macmasteri.
As Dave said, "Yours are very nice!"
Neil

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I think this is the same thread where we were discussing this topic recently. (Or what's left of it!) :wink:

Rolo, could you post your viejita photo again. I can't remember who else posted photos here recently.

Thanks,
Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….