• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for the ideal Apistogramma

jumpmaster

Hello all,

I am putting together a community tank that will include Rams (german) What I need to find a pair of Apistos (male and female) that will breed and not kill off every other fish. Where can I find a list of Apistos and there characteristics?

MonteSS

I would find out what is available to you first unless you plan to order online.

....Bill

MonteSS

OK. I know Apistos are hard to find around me and not much of a choice.

Give the experts more info like tank size, ph, temperature, other fish, decor, substrate, plants, etc.

....Bill

jumpmaster

Tank Parameters:
Size:280 litre
Temp: 28 - 30
Ph: 7.0 - 7.1
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Gravel
Planted
Will have A mating pair of Rams and shoaling fish

bseitz234

KH? With a pH of 7 or above, I'd say look at some of the whitewater / clearwater species: cacatuoides and trifasciata immediately come to mind. There are several colorful tank strains of cacatuoides that should be readily available to you, trifasciata may be more difficult to find.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, 30°C is a bit low for Orinoco Rams. In a tank your size most apistos will be OK, but I think that one of the species found with Rams in the Llanos of Colombia & Venezuela would be best suited - A. guttata, A. hoignei, A. hongsloi, A. sp. Schwarzkehl come to mind.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I'd consider A. borelli.
Not hard to find, easily kept and bred.
A very pretty species and usually not too expensive.
Over the years I've bought 95% of my Apistos on line.
If shipped overnight it is usually safe for most of the year.

bobberinodude

"Over the years I've bought 95% of my Apistos on line."

Larry: I'm in the Pacific NW also - can you recommend any reliable online sources for apistos?

Thanks,

Bob

bseitz234

Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Portland, OR has always been good for me. ApistoDave is also in Oregon (he sells on aquabid, or you can email him directly. I'm on the east coast and have had them both ship fish that have arrived in great shape.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I also recommend apistodave and wetspot.
Especially since both are in our region of the country.
Wetspot doesn't sell pairs with any assurance you will receive a male and female. I don't like that because they price them at true pair prices. It has prevented me from placing any Apistogramma pair orders with them since they adopted that policy.
I usually have kept Rams alone but there are species of Apistos which also come from warm waters.
I have kept A. borelli at 84*F many times and they bred fine and lived longer than Rams usually do. A.borelli are very adaptable fish. I use higher temperatures than that to breed Rams. Often as warm as 88*F and even 90*F.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….