• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live from the Amazon jungle: First catches in 2010

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I really look forward to seeing these reports coming out every few months.
Can’t wait to see what neat stuff comes out of this trip and what new fish are found.

Dzo

5 Year Member
Great Mike... :)
Make as many pictures as You can. I am sure We all enjoy looking them...

Tom C

5 Year Member
The internet connection has this time been VERY poor.
But WOW, now I seem to have connection!

A fisherman brought us these ones, said to be collected in the Rio Urubamba / Madre de Dios area:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Interesting fish, don't you think?

No time for more now, have to take care of fish from the Rio Yavari/Rio Galvez-area and from the upper parts of Rio Tigre, and do the planning of the next (and last) expedition :biggrin:

Rio Yavari is now 10 - 12 meters lower than normal, and the locals have problems with huge black caimans leaving the now quite dry areas further up where they usually live, and comming down the river :

resizeimage.aspx

ste12000

5 Year Member
Glad to hear that you guys are still alive and well, several of us have been eagerly awaiting the updates!! I hope you are having a good time.

That is a very nice Apisto, any idea what it is?? New species?

RLOPES

They are really very nice fish. Just shame that in Portugal is so hard to find wild specimens for sale :frown:

Microman

5 Year Member
Well Mike when i had the fish in my hand out here i didnt believe they were A.luelingi despite Tom saying they may be but after reading Koslowski it certainly seems that they are....
A beautiful fish and a great addition to the hobby if we can get them home ok.

Steve, Many more fish to bring home to the UK and a few rarities to boot. I will again leave the excellent reporting up to Tom as i know he likes doing it much more than i and he also has much more spare time(HE HE, got you again mate....).
See ya soon...
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Way cool, its been a dream of mine to collect in South America. Anybody else had this experience before?

I spent 4 weeks with TomC in Peru/Colombia 2 years ago. It truly was a dream come true. Tom has some great connections there. He could pay his way by taking small (1-2) select people on collecting trips. Only one problem: he makes too much money doing what he does now!:biggrin:

Tom C

5 Year Member
...... I will again leave the excellent reporting up to Tom as i know he likes doing it much more than i and he also has much more spare time(HE HE, got you again mate....). .......

Here is my travel companion this year, at one of the habitats:

resizeimage.aspx

Is he doing anything, except for drinking up our water, and smoking his "fags"?
Is he taking notes? No... :redface:
Is he measuring the water values? No... :redface:
Is he taking pictures? No... :redface:

No wonder he wants to leave the reporting to me! :biggrin:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hey, I smoke a cigarette after releasing any Trout over 12 inches.
A couple if over 15 inches to give the pool some extra time to forget what I've done.
I roll my own; it buys more time.

Tom C

5 Year Member
We booked seats in a small plane.
Iquitos is, as you probably know, said to be the world's largest city without road access (One has to travel by plane or by boat on the rivers, to get there).
Here is the city, with the Rio Amazonas in the background, and Rio Itaya coming down from the right:

resizeimage.aspx

We flew over some jungle:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

to a village by the Rio Yavari, at the border between Peru and Brazil:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and this how it looked like when we landed; the entire village was there to have a look at the strange people who came:

resizeimage.aspx

This is the airport:

resizeimage.aspx

We booked rooms in the "city's" finest "hotel", with a private bathroom (!)
(Our fisherman from Iquitos posing outside my front door)

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

There were of course no water in either the sink or toilet ......

But this little lad seems to have a good time:

resizeimage.aspx

(His father was a Brazilian who had crossed the river, that's where the curls origin)

We have been in many different places, including the Rio Tigre.
There we experienced to be totally defenseless against large amounts of blood-sucking flies-like creatures, so small that they crawled through the mosquito net, and they were totally unaffected by the world's most powerful insecticides.
My leg: :eek:

resizeimage.aspx

Have we found any fish?
Yes, lots!

We have, among others, collected Nannostomus mortenthaleri (along with many Apistogramma)

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Reports on this year's expeditions will hopefully, after a while, appear on my website.....

Finally, a little challenge for you. What species do you think this is ?

resizeimage.aspx

We have seen it displaying, so we think we know what it is.....:biggrin:

(No, it's not A. cf. eunotus, nor A. sp. Masken, nor A. sp. Schwarzbrust)

Microman

5 Year Member
Here is my travel companion this year, at one of the habitats:
Is he doing anything, except for drinking up our water, and smoking his "fags"?
Is he taking notes? No... :redface:
Is he measuring the water values? No... :redface:
Is he taking pictures? No... :redface:

No wonder he wants to leave the reporting to me! :biggrin:

As you folks can see from the pics i look a little bit wet....Its very difficult to catch Apistos in Peru with a camera,ph meter and pen in hand so i favour a net.

I too smoke roll-ups but due to the humidity you end up lighting them 20 or so times each ciggie so i prefer a cheap Peruvian brand whilst over here.

Had a great time once again this year with some superb species making their way back to the UK, fingers crossed....Ive really got this collecting bug now.
Where too and what for next year??? Anybodys guess....
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….