• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Intensity?? how much is too much??

mccidlee

5 Year Member
My 20g tank now has
2 X 18W Compact Fluorescent
2 x 15W T-8 Fluorescent
However, I am not happy with those two T-8 and thinking to replace them with power Compact Fluorescent.

But the question I have now is should I go with 1 X 36W and make the total Watt 72W (2 X 18 + 1 X 36), or I should go with 1 X 55W and get the total 91W.. is 91W too much for a 20g tank...

And also one more thing: 5500K or 6700K(6500K)?? those 18W I have now are 6500K, should this time I do with 5500K??

Any advice will be appreciated...

farm41

5 Year Member
I have 4 F17T8/TL950 on my 20H, at 5000K, I like the look of the 5000K, I have the 5000K on all my planted tanks.

It is purely a matter of your liking, the plants and fish won't care which light you use, of course the plants would grow more with more watts.

mm12463

5 Year Member
The one thing to consider is the more light you have the more potential there is for things to go right and wrong.

The more light you have the faster the plants will grow. The faster they will consume the nutrients in the water. Overdose, under dose, CO2 poops out and things aren't nice anymore. Algae can start to spring up overnight if you don't pay attention. High light requires more time on part of the hobbyist paying close attention. Plenty of people do it but they have committed to that path.

Basically you need to think about your goals, how much time can and do you want to give and what not.

I use a 55 watt on my 20 long and I am happy with it that amount of light. It all depends on what you want to do and the time you have. IMO lower light tanks are easier to grow plants. Things are slower but allows you more time to react. It's a little more forgiving.

If I had to pick between the 2 options I would go with the 72 watts rather then the 90w total.

farm41

5 Year Member
I have 256 watts on my 75g, co2 injection, loads of plants, algea eaters, dose fertilizer twice a week, trim once a week. If you want high light, you should be using pressurized co2, my 10lb bottle lasted 13 months last time, and I haven't had to mess with the co2 in years, it just keeps running smoothly.

Just like the last post, if you run out of co2, or miss fertilization a couple times, it can go to pot in a hurry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….