• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

leaves

canon8838

5 Year Member
if i have oak leaves in my 10g apisto tank, how long before i should remove the leaves and replace them with new ones?

do leaves hurt the quality of the water at all?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I leave my leaves until they become full of holes and are kind of transparent. Then I remove what I can with my hand and vacuum up any remaining debris. They last me about 5 months this way, give or take a month. I don't think this effected my water quality at all. I keep my leaves in little 'piles'. I think it looks better that way and thats the way the apistos seem to prefer them. Maybe every couple months or so, I'll gently move the pile one leaf at a time to a new location in the tank, then vacuum the spot where it was.

Oak leaves are said to have a modest, positive effect on pH and Hardness.

Michael

canon8838

5 Year Member
i kind off see a transparent bit on the end of the leave, does that mean it is rotting?

is the transparent gunk bad?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Yes. That is what's happening. I leave mine in until most of the entire leaf is transparent, but while the bulk of them can still be removed by hand without falling a part.

Someone else can probably explain it's effect on the water quality. But I don't think it's harmful as long it doesn't accumulate too much, as leaf litter is part of the apistos natural environment.

When I use peat treated water, I get simular debris settling on the bottom after a day or two.

Michael

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
I have heard that leaves lower PH slightly (like driftwood) because they release tanic acid. The effect should be minimal, but in some cases, atleast with wood, it can be significant. Since the leaves are much small, though, I would think the effect would be slight.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi lil-fishy,

Yes the acidic effect is slight, you at least need peat moss to treat the water to really make a difference. I think Oak leaves are used mostly for the comfort of the apistos, as this pretty much replicates their natural habitat. I know mine get very excited when I put a new pile of oak leaves in the tank. They swim in and out and in between the leaves. A couple piles of oak leaves also provide sanctuary for fry and any sub-dominant apistos that may be in the tank.

Myself, I think they look sharp in a tank. The right arrangements of oak leaves, plants and driftwood has a fantastic natural appearance. I like the natural look. I like the plants in 'clumps' and the leaves in piles. Oh yeah. Can't forget the Java Moss covered coconut shell caves!

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….