• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara araguaiae pair or harem breeders ?

anewbie

Are Laetacara araguaiae best in pairs or do they prefer harem ? Is there an obvious method to tell which fish are harem breeders and which are best in pairs ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
All Laetacara species form mated pairs as far as I know. With regard to determining what species are harem breeders, I suggest doing research on the specific species in which you are interested. Some apisto species are harem breeders, some develop casual harem behavior, some form spawning (not mated) pairs, and a few form long-term mated behavior.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Hello there. In my experience, all Laetacaras are strictly monogamous. The couple usually kill the other male or female in the tank. Have a nice day...

Mazan

Definitely monogamous. I have 2 pairs and they each have their own territory in a large tank (160 x 60 cm footprint). They breed regularly, the two pairs display and flare at eachother and very occasionally fight, nothing too serious, but it is probably not a good idea to have more than one pair in a smaller tank.

anewbie

I have four immature in a 40B (30inch x 18 inch). Once a pair forms i will see what i can do with the other two. The tank has a very large number of hiding spots but the large one that looks very much like a male still likes to chase the two smallest one. The fourth one confuses me. I think it might be a female and i see it 'flirting' with the one i think is a male by circling it and flashing its gill (shouldn't the male be doing this?; certainly this is behavior my male nannacara used to perform with the females) but the one i think is male ignores it - but it also doesn't chase it away like the others.

This is the tank more or less; there is quite a bit of drift wood in there - 5 or 6 pieces but you can't see most of it through the plants.
vv3.jpg

tank from above:
vv2.jpg

Mazan

Actually they may all be OK in your tank, as it has lots of plants and driftwood. I also started with four juveniles, the two biggest and more colourful were the first to form a pair, displaying to each other but with some chasing as well (at first I thought they might be two males). As they mature it is easy to tell the difference between the sexes as the male develops quite a pronounced nuchal hump and the size difference between male and female is greater.
IMG_0558.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1126.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….