• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kribs turning white

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
I have 3 female kribs that had some sort of parasite that I belived to be gill flukes so I tried a treatment that has worked very well for me in the past. Eight table spoons of salt to ten gallons of water. I have used this successfully on a a different group of kribs in the past without any problems. The day after the salt was added the strangesst thing happened, the top of their heads turned white. Its not fuzzy, its just looks like they lost all pigment on top of thier heads. The other fish in the tank do not have this. Any thoughts on this? By the way, the other problem cleared up with the metronidazole. Next time I add fish to my tank, I will definitly quarantine longer than two weeks.
Trevor

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is probably a physiological response to the sudden increase in hardness. I would not be too concerned unless it did not go away when you water change your way back to normal hardness levels.

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Thanks Ted. I think you are right since the kribs regained their normal coloration today. I guess all that salt just did not agree with them.
Trevor

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….