• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kribs: Hole in the head?

GalaxiePete

5 Year Member
This is a first for me, but I was pulling my breeding pair of kribs from the tank they were in and noticed a couple good sized divits in the females head. It sure looks like HIH, but I didn't think they were susceptible. I have not really seen her for about two months. Since she started producing actual fry, she is in hiding 95% of the time with eggs, fry or just because. And when she is out and I approach the tank she quickly hides. So I do not know how long they have been there. Kind of glad I decided to move them to a new tank...

The tank setup they were in makes it next to impossible to pull them. It is 100% planted, and I was cutting everything back this weekend since I pulled thier fry and decided it was a good time to capture them. I was pulling her to make it easier to seperate her from the male in the future. After I pull the fry and before she is ready to breed they go at it pretty seriously occasionally, they were in a 55 community. They are both in the process of growing back damaged tails at the moment.

But anyhow, is it HIH, damage from fighting or is it something similar? It sure looks like classic HIH. Do you treat with metronidazole as in south americans? Does anyone know a good source (cheap/available) of metronidazole since aquatronics is closed up? Has anyone tried Seachem metronidazole? It seems a little pricey compared to what I paid for aquatronics in the past.

Thanks
Pete

fishgeek

hole in the head is not well understood
it is not simply a metronidazol responsive spironucleus(hexamits) infection as once proposed
the disease can be found in the absence of this infectious agent
equally this infectious agent can be found without disease developing

attend to water quality/cleanliness
remove carbon from fltartion
broaded nutritional base possibly with supplemental vit AC+E (antioxidants)

and if you wish
dose metro between 5-20 ppm as a bath

diagnosis of these organisms is by feacal examination
nervousness is a recorded sign of HITH so perhaps the fish's shyness is significant

andrew

GalaxiePete

5 Year Member
Good to know, I was under the impression that HIH was strictly a heximita (and possibly another organism) infection that manifested externally.

Water quality is excellent in the tank they were in. 10-20% weekly water changes, phosphates and amonia were non-existant. PH 7.3-7.5. Don't have a hardness meter at the moment so can't give that. I feed a mix of CBW, Krill and appropriatly sized Spectrum pellets.

Just curious - what would removing carbon from filtration accomplish in this case?

Typically, for HIH/Heximita in the past - I start with a treatment of the tank for 2-3 days mixed with metronidazol. In addition, I thaw and drain some frozen brine shrimp and mix in metronidazol. I then refreeze and serve that as thier diet until the symptoms are gone. I have treated quite a few Oscars and Angels in the past using this method. Usually not mine, but I have got my share of infected fish over the years.

I am stumped as to where it came from though. I have not added any new fish to that tank in 7 or 8 months. I know that Heximita is thought to be present in fish in general and that stress can cause it to "bloom". I have never seen any african with the disease before though - but I only work with the occasional dwarf africans.

aspen

5 Year Member
if the pair are agressive, it could well be agression marks. i use a magnifying glass to see these small fish better.

most fish have intestinal flagellates, which is supposed to be a symptom or cause of hith.

rick

GalaxiePete

5 Year Member
Thanks Andrew, I never heard about carbon being a possible cause before. I do not use much carbon, but I suppose it only takes a little.

Well regardless, I am moving her to a 10 gallon tonight - sponge filter only. We will see what happens over the next few days. If it is from fighting it should heal rather quickly. If it is HITH it may also heal quickly - even with out treatment, I have seen that before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….