• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Krib Spawning?

Kaie

So when i bought my Kribs the females belly was darrrrk maroon in color. Since they've been in my tank they have built an underground liar under one of the caves i made for them with rocks.

The male spent a good few days digging, removing sand, and making a tall berm out side of the front entrance. While that was taking place the female would hangout outside of the cave or in the back entrance.

Yesterday i notice the female beating up on the male, biting at him, charging him, running him out of the cave. The female was also chasing other fish that would swim in front of the cave. I wake up this morning and the male krib is out side of the cave darting at any fish that comes near.

I can't see clearly inside of the cave due to the angle its at. But is there a good chance that they have spawned or will be spawning soon?

I'm just curious about this behavior.

I should also note that i believe they are wild caught or the spawn of wild caught. They are VERY VERY skittish. But, VERY VERY VERY beautiful. When i look at pictures of Kribs none i find compare to these two. The fish store owner had no solid info on the fish's background other than a woman traded him 4 'mated pairs' for some other fish.

Wowww.... i had a lot to say... sorry.

Shernutz

I guess you will find out in a few days when you have small younglings swimming around

When you wrote 'kribs,' you don't P. pulcher? Are you implying you have a P. taeniatus? Any chance of pics?

Kaie

I guess you will find out in a few days when you have small younglings swimming around

When you wrote 'kribs,' you don't P. pulcher? Are you implying you have a P. taeniatus? Any chance of pics?

They are P. Pulcher, sorry for the confusion.

I have tried snapping some pictures but i cant seem to get a good shot off. I've been trying for days.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the female is just driving the male then she may already be on eggs. If she is also dancing at him she is still trying to lure him to spawn. Once there are eggs in the cave the male will not enter it very much (or at all).

madtundra

P. pulcher was the easiest fish for me to breed, you should soon have a buNch of babies swimming around with mom and dad protecting them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….