• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Dwarf Cichlids

Michael

5 Year Member
What would be the best species of apistogrammas for a first time dwarf cihlid keeper. I have a 29 gallon bowed front tank with medium sized tetras in it. What kind of water conditions would the fish need and what kind of tank set up would it need?

-Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Michael,

Here is a link to a message that was recently posted.
http://forum.apistogramma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1452

I started with A. borellii myself. They are peaceful, easy to spawn and not too fussy about water conditions (other than clean of course :wink: ). My water is soft out of the tap (KH=2 & GH=7), so hardness wasn't an issue for me, but my pH was kinda high (7.5) but they spawned within a week of me getting them, even though they were less than an inch long!
The only down side to me is that the male isn't very colorful (beautiful fins though). But the females are bright yellow when spawning.

My cacatuoides (Triple Red) took a couple months longer to spawn, but they did eventually. I did nothing to adjust the above water parameters. The male is more colorful that the borellii, but is a little more aggressive. I have a trio (1m2f) in a 20 gallon high, but he paired up with one female and drives the other away when he sees her. In your 29 gallon you might not have this problem.

Michael

Michael

5 Year Member
Keeping Swarf Cichlids

How many A. Borellii do you have and how big is the tank? Are the fry hard to raise and if you dont mind me asking how mich did you pay for the pair?
Thanks!

-Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I have 1m & 3f in a 30 gallon long. In the tank I have a large piece of driftwood with Java Moss & Java ferns attached, 3 Java Moss covered coconut shell caves, a couple piles of oak leaves and some floating Hornwort. Also 2 Oto cats and 4 beckfordi pencilfish for tankmates.

As for raising the fry, all I had to do was feed them BBS and do weekly water changes, the parents did the rest.

I paid $7.50 each plus shipping.

-anne-

5 Year Member
cootwarm said:
The only down side to me is that the male isn't very colorful (beautiful fins though). But the females are bright yellow when spawning.

There are at least three color morphs of A. borellii, and in my opinion, opal is the most beautiful even when compared to all Apistogrammas.
Michael, I recommend you to try to find these. Male has a shiny blue color and a red face.

here are my fish:
http://www.netikka.net/ilkka.korhonen/galleria_bo/index.htm

Neil

Michael,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I agree that borellii would be a good first Dwarf Cichlid. They are really no more sensative to diseases than other apistos and probably less than rams. However, clean water is a precursor to keep them healthy.
Rams usually do better in warm water and borellii is one of a very few apistos that can handle pretty cold water. But I have never had any problems keeping borellii in a little warmer water. I would shoot for 80 degrees. Otherwise both species will probably do well together.

Neil

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….