• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping different variations of Cacatuoides together

Marvick

IMG_1486.jpg

I recently bought three female Apisto's this being one of them. The other two are regular cacatuoides, this one is gold, as well as a female from what i can tell (very little of any other color besides a little speck of red). I Also had a very vibrant male that was getting bullied by this gold fellow and ultimately killed the poor sucker. I am new to owning/breeding Apistogrammas. I was wondering if the variations in color in the same cacatuoide family could/should be kept together? I understand that it is different from aquarium to aquarium and fish to fish. They are all alone in a 20 Gallon plant tank with plenty of hiding spaces.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Color variations in 1 species, be they apistos or humans, are just that - same species but different colors. They will breed together and produce viable offspring. What the color of the offspring are depends on genetics. You can keep your cacatuoides in the same tank, just don't expect all to be similarly colored, or even the color of the parents.

JIM

I agree

+2

Fish today, because of many, many times being bred and cross bred, have so much of a gene pool that you may get any kind of offspring.

If you want fish that breed true, you will need to start with wild caught fish, and even then you may get a little variance.

Hmoobthor

IMG_1486.jpg

I recently bought three female Apisto's this being one of them. The other two are regular cacatuoides, this one is gold, as well as a female from what i can tell (very little of any other color besides a little speck of red). I Also had a very vibrant male that was getting bullied by this gold fellow and ultimately killed the poor sucker. I am new to owning/breeding Apistogrammas. I was wondering if the variations in color in the same cacatuoide family could/should be kept together? I understand that it is different from aquarium to aquarium and fish to fish. They are all alone in a 20 Gallon plant tank with plenty of hiding spaces.

very cool looking "gold form"...

try to breed for a triple red gold form which i love. too many males = chaos

Melanochromis

I have two cacatuoides of the gold form. They seem to be somewhat less competitive than the non-gold ones. They are slower in getting food, less responsive to things, and seem quite "dumb" in general. Eventually I put them in their own tanks without other caca to make sure they get enough food and don't get bullied.

But to answer your question, yes. It should be possible to breed cacatuoides of different forms. My females are not picky. They will always go for the largest, most dominant males regardless of the color form.

Marvick

Thanks for all the insight guys:biggrin:. If i could get a hold of some wild apistos that would be sweet. I only know of two places in Sacramento and surrounding areas that have a decent selection. Most of them are young, and this gold one didn't take well to the last one. I was thinking about possibly raising the male in a separate tank until it gets as big as this one. The other one was quite reclusive as well so maybe if i get a more feisty one all will be right.

heres another picture.
IMG_0825.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….