• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara adoketa distinct populations or multiple species?

Apistoguy52

After reading the Peru agassizii population paper awhile back, I’m curious.

We’ve got left bank Rio Preto fish with SGC in between them and the right bank populations of the Uaupes, Tiquie, Icana, Cuari, and then the Inirida population in a whole different drainage.

Has anyone had the pleasure of keeping multiple populations? Any notable differentiating characteristics? (paging tomC?)

Tom C

5 Year Member
I have only kept I. adokata from the Rio Negro and Rio Cuiari. I have not noticed any morphological or behavioral differences. So it will be as Mike says: we'll have to wait for DNA analyses. But it wouldn't surprise me if some of the populations turn out to be separate species.
BTW: You mention an "Inirida population", I would assume this includes I. adoketa shipped from Inirida. These fishes are, as far as I know, not collected in the Rio Inirida, but from a small population in a tributary stream to the Rio Atabapo. Nevertheless in the Rio Orinoco drainage.

Apistoguy52

I have only kept I. adokata from the Rio Negro and Rio Cuiari. I have not noticed any morphological or behavioral differences. So it will be as Mike says: we'll have to wait for DNA analyses. But it wouldn't surprise me if some of the populations turn out to be separate species.
BTW: You mention an "Inirida population", I would assume this includes I. adoketa shipped from Inirida. These fishes are, as far as I know, not collected in the Rio Inirida, but from a small population in a tributary stream to the Rio Atabapo. Nevertheless in the Rio Orinoco drainage.
I’m not 100% , if I remember correctly, I think Ernst mentioned seeing them in the shallow waters of the Inirida ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….