• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this solid enough for 1600kg (3500lbs)?

Siggi

Hi all.

I'm planning a large tank for apistos (tetras, cory's and hatchets too).
Outside measurements will be (w d h) 2020x932x720 milimeters - (inside 2000x900x700). That's roughly 79x35.5x27.5 inches. Total volume will be around 1250 litres or 330 US Gallons.
Weights:
Glass: around 250kg (550lbs.)
Hardscape (stones, gravel, sand and wood: somewhere below 200kg (440lbs.)
Water: 1100 litres/kg (2400lbs.)
Sum: 1550kg/3400lbs ...

This is an image of the stand:
20181005_083815.jpg

It's made of iron, in cilyndrical, squared and sheet shaped pieces, all 2mm thick (2 milimetres is a little under a tenth of an inch)

My question:
Is this stand sturdy/solid enough for the weight?
(obviously I made some calculations beforehand, but now it looks too fragile for a tonne and a half)

I'd much appreciate your feedback.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I'm not a structural engineer, so take it with a grain of salt, but 12 kg / sq. cm doesn't seem too bad for the top (202 x 93.2 cm / 1550 kg). I, however, would want the weight spread over more surface area than the small feet of the stand. It will probably put dents in the wooden flooring. Also think about what kind of structural support is directly under the flooring where the stand rests. I'm not fond of the leveling treads either.

Siggi

Hi, Mike.
Thanks for your return.
There are two vertical holes in the wall behind the stand.
The landlord/constructor of the building said there is a main reinforced beam in the building right below this wall. He said the floor is made of concrete and can hold the weight, putting two legs of the stand inside the wall will direct the weight of the stand directly into the strucure of the building and not over the floor at all...
I'm not a structural engineer either. My landlord is a civil engineer who has made hydraulics projects in state highways. At least he knows water can be rather heavier than it looks like in a jar or a cup... He said I will have about 400 kg /sq. meter and that 'building instructions' operate with loads of 1000 kg / sq. m as minimum floor load.
The fooring is not wood. It's a wood-looking cover normally with a sponge-like film below to make an acoustic and thermal isolation. I think it's called 'floating floor' in english... I'm aware it won't hold the weight. I'm planning on boring a hole in it down to the concrete floor. But only when I know exactly where the legs are going to be.
How would you "spread the weight" over more surface area?

I was able to find (scarce) information about load resistance of iron.
It said iron resists about 400 kg / sq. mm
I'll have 116 sq mm in each leg (x4 = 464 sq mm) to hold the weight. The calculations 'say' it holds, but it looks 'fragile'. Are the calculations right or am I right?
What could I have made instead of the levelling treads? Do I need to 'remedy' that? Any solution.

If all goes well, I intend to make some videos of the setup and decoration of the tank. Should I link on this forum?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I think your landlord is the one to talk to. He is an engineer. If it were me I would spread the weight over more surface area, maybe wider or more legs.

Last edited:

Mats

5 Year Member
Hej. Du måste ha ett krysstag mellan benen annars är risken stor att det tippar över. X betwin the leggs. Mvh Mats

OneKiwi

Hi, I would have at least 2 more legs preferably 4 then the threaded feet will take less weight each. Much like the aluminium frame stands that you get.

I would not have an underlay that hangs over the edge but have the whole frame cover the whole base of the tank.
Have you had a look at DIY Joey or aquarium coop for making stands?

Also have the legs joined lower down as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 432

HengLee

Wow! in my opinion, the total weight of about 1600 kg(tank, water, hardscape, etc) is extremely heavy and your table won't be able to support it.
You need a very solid, stable and even surface table/support.
In my opinion, the middle part will sink and give way if there are no legs support in the middle.
The four legs with extended height won't be able to support heavy weight. (It's better that you don't extend the 4 legs)

It'll be dangerous if the table give way especially with the big volume of water that will put high pressure on the glass.
I think it's better that you get a contractor to build the support for your tank for safety reason.

If not, I suggest that you put the tank on the floor.(Safest but not at the best viewing level and difficult to view the tank)

Siggi

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions.

I see many stands in your links, made of wood. Won't that be less strong than iron? Despite the narrower section in my hollow legs... The iron is 2 mm thick.

As two legs will be built into the wall, if I had the craftsman who made me the table/stand make me an additional leg to put below each of the two corners (the two 'freestanding' corners)?
Would that be a significant help? Would that be enough?
Tnx.

HengLee

Hi Siggi,

Yes, metal will be better than wood as wood will get warp when it comes in contact with water.
But for metal, make sure that "the joints" are strong.
Ensure that the screws or welding for the joints are strong.
If the welding are not properly done, it may weaken the joints.

As for wood stand, please ensure that the wood is "thick enough" to withstand the weight.
Also, use proper coating or paint to "waterproof" the wood.
Check the internet for more info and the type of wood - solid or laminated wood.

I believe you are saying that the "back of your tank will rest on the wall and the front will have legs support".
Am I correct?

The wall should be strong enough to hold the back of the tank.
Your 2m tank is very long, so you need more legs support in the middle part of the tank.
So for the "front side" of the tank, you should have at least 4-5 legs to withstand the weight of the tank (if you worry that it's not strong enough).
The more legs you have, the stronger it is.(see attached pictures below).

Some other info:
https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/aquarium-stand-selection-guide

https://www.petcoach.co/article/aquariums-and-stands-selection-guide/

https://www.yihufish.com/fishkeepin...-freshwater-aquarium/selecting-your-aquarium/

Lastly, make sure that your stand has even surface with the wall behind and metal/wood legs in front.

Attachments

• Metal_Stand_large.jpg
    Metal_Stand_large.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 510
  • Custom_Stand_large.jpg
    Custom_Stand_large.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 409

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….