• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a Female?

pmcbar

5 Year Member
This was sold to me as a triple red female and when I got it, it looked that way but in the last week or so it looks more and more like a male
10.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

17.jpg

pmcbar

5 Year Member
yes there is. he is much larger with more pronounced finage and color

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When young, it's often hard to sex a female from a male in the domestic red strains of A. cacatuoides. Both sexes have color. This is when behavior is more useful in sexing fish. Sexually mature females do behave differently than males. The tend to present their bellies in a submissive gesture rather than just run off like subdominant males. When young it isn't easy to always sex them even then. I know I have problems. Wild forms are much easier.:biggrin:

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses, I figured it was a male but wanted to make sure since the person who sold me the fish is suppose to be an expert. He is known to be a bit grumpy do think its worth my time to ask for a refund?
I bought them about 2 months ago.
Also should I take him out of the tank?
Its a 3ft long 45 gallon tank. It now has 2 males and one female instead of the other way around.
Here is the picture of the female, can anybody tell me what variant it is, I picked her up at the LFS

24.jpg

And a couple of pics of the dominate Male,a great looking fish that the pictures do not do justice to

23.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

10.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
She is a "Double red" as well. You can see the dark chequering in the tail fin.
She looks ready to spawn as well. I'd try and exchange one of the males for another female otherwise the female won't ever get a break, when she isn't ready to spawn, from the two males "courting" her. Are you in the UK?

Male looks a nice fish, good fin development.

cheers Darrel

pmcbar

5 Year Member
Darrel
I'm in the US and bought them on line from a well known seller, so trading him in really is not an option when you consider the cost of shipping; not sure if its worth my time to ask for a refund.
I'll put him in another tank and see if my LFS as any more females left.
Thanks
Pat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(