• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is she a she?

lurch1000

I got two A.cacatuoides recently, and the female seems to be more colourful than I expected, plus I'm bobbins at sexing most fish! Added "him" as well, don't think there's any doubt as to it being a male!

Appreciate any help offered!

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365374449.294420.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365374474.544908.jpg

Edit:
Forgot to say - she's camera shy, so not the best picture, but the best I have! These are about 2"ish.

Thanks again!

kiddstinson

In my personal opinion it looks like a he. I was brought up with the exact same problem about a month ago. I bought what I though to be a female put a picture on here and found out it was male. No fry for me. He seems a bit colorfull to be a she and if u can't tell from that check out the dorsal fin. It looks too long to be a female. I had a couple of those when I began with tanks And it didn't turn out to well. Good luck

lurch1000

I did wonder as much. The more s/he has been in my tank, the less convinced I've been.

Shall go get it swapped soon methinks! :)

M.ramirezi

Some females can be quite colourful in their fins.
Looking at the body shape I'm going for a female, BUT it could be a young male though. I think the best is to wait. If he/she developes longer fins, it unfortunately is a male.

lurch1000

Thanks everyone, so votes are leaning towards female, but on the cautious side.

I'm pleased I've got one with more colouration if she's a she, if it is a male, I know somewhere I can get a swap if I need to, so I have an option.

lurch1000

Well he in the bottom pic has a wonderful crest for a dorsal, just can't get a pic of it. Back of my phone is silver so they must think it's a giant fish coming :)

lurch1000

Sadly not. They're both 2" ish, and I've only had them a couple of weeks. Settled in very well and very quickly. Absolutely not scared of the water change hose annoyingly. "She" gets very close and won't be shooed away, terrified she'll end up getting wedged. May have to start putting a net over the pipe. My Corydoras concolor (also fairly new additions) aren't fussed by it either. Funnily enough, one of the Otos will sit on the pipe when I'm refilling to my amusement!

lurch1000

Could well be female. She's way smarter than him, she knows food comes from the top of the tank, whereas he gets bashed about by the Cory looking for food on the substrate :)

lurch1000

Well, consensus is female. They don't bicker, but aren't really hanging out together either. Rest of it time will tell I guess. Been offered a pair of Panduro, but don't really want to mix Apistos in the same tank. Typical I get offered free or nearly free fish AFTER I buy some :)

lurch1000

Well, yes, I kinda have one, but it's earmarked for something else that's coming soon... Why don't you have two pairs?! Just get to Leeds! :)

Euphoria91

Lol and have hell break loose in my tank! I would have another pair but I havent got a tank for them :)

Leeds aint too far, about 60 miles? Kyle is doing them dead cheap too? Mine was £20 for the pair.

lurch1000

About 40-45 miles. He wants £8 the pair. John also wants them, but it's who'll take them first. I could hold them here for you temporarily if you did want them, he's keen to move them on. He's only in Huddersfield, about 10 miles from me, nearer to you.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There doesnt seem to a big difference in sexes with this Apisto.

o_O A. cacatuoides are highly dimorphic, sexually. Males of the same age are 50% larger than females, have larger lips, a higher dorsal fin, and longer tips on the unpaired fins; not hard to sex at all. To me the photos show an older female and a younger male.

lurch1000

Can you clarify which one you think is male and female from that please? Do you see the most colourful one as the male?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….