• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Apistogramma Borrelli my only choice?

Ashenwelt

Hello,

So the scenario is I am making a nano tank. The tank is between 5 and 8 gallons. My goal is Apistogramma pair. Please note the tank will be planted in the extreme with broken site lines. The recommendation here has been Apistogramma Borrelli. My question is: is this the only option of the for the tank size. Note, any fry would end up getting a new series of Five Gallon tanks (yes planted, excuse for MTS). My experience is 40 years, although most was with Angels (including breeding).

Some other questions include would any of these be better options as they are smaller?
  • Apistogramma hongsloi
  • Apistogramma macmasteri
  • Apistogramma baenschi
  • Apistogramma trifasciata
Thanks all. I know I keep asking similar questions, though not always as direct.

bbetta

5 Year Member
First of all, I wouldn't even consider the other options for anything smaller than a 20 gallon. A. Macmasteri are very robust and can become HUGE. I've seen a gold form measuring about 10cm TL, at my LFS. A. Trifasciata are particularly aggressive, even though they are one of the smallest Apistos I know of.

Now to answer your question, no I wouldn't keep A. Borellii in a 5 or 8 gallon, for permanent housing.
I've kept this species for about 3 years and I wouldn't give a pair anything smaller than 45cm in length (provided that the tank would be appropriately decorated with broken sight lines). The volume of the tank is not the problem, the length is. Once they breed, and they most definitely will, the female would probably kill the male.
I've bred this fish in a 6 gallon tank but as soon as I had eggs, the male was removed back to the main tank (20 gallons).

At my first experience with A. Borellii (20G, 24inch length, densely planted), I ordered 2F 1M and got 3F 1M instead. Everything was going well, although the females were sometimes aggressive without inflicting serious damage though. About a year after, the females started fighting so much that I had to remove one of them (didn't change the aquascape at all).
Last week I got back into Apistos, and I ordered just one pair of Borellii's , as I now think that they would fair better in my dimensions.

Hope this helps,
Billy
:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just a question: why do you want a pair? I would try a single male A. trifasciata for a nano tank if the other species are active - and no, they don't get lonely.

Ashenwelt

Just a question: why do you want a pair? I would try a single male A. trifasciata for a nano tank if the other species are active - and no, they don't get lonely.

This is the kind of commentary I am looking at. I normally do a pair of just about anything, so its mostly a default.

I know I have been recommended a pair of Borrelli here before for a 5. But I would love to hear other options. Would a single A.trifasciata be a good option? Any others? I do like the water requirements. Nice.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Any single male/female would definitely fair better than a pair/harem. Judging by its small size, A. Trifasciata seems like the best option - if you can get your hands on just one male.

Billy

Ashenwelt

Any single male/female would definitely fair better than a pair/harem. Judging by its small size, A. Trifasciata seems like the best option - if you can get your hands on just one male.

Billy

Finding a pair is easy... finding a single? Could be complicated. Would a pair be ok in an 8?

I am thinking more 5, but the reality is the tank will be an 8. These guys could use CPDs or Dwarf Emerald Rasboras as a dither fish I would think. Picking it up in an aquascaping contest.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Finding a pair is easy... finding a single? Could be complicated. Would a pair be ok in an 8?

I am thinking more 5, but the reality is the tank will be an 8. These guys could use CPDs or Dwarf Emerald Rasboras as a dither fish I would think. Picking it up in an aquascaping contest.

No, I wouldn't try a pair. These are aggressive fish and if I remember correctly, polygamous. @Mike Wise can correct me on that one.
If you search the web for the profiles of the 2 dithers you proposed, you'll see that they require more than 8 gallons. As stated before, the length is what matters the most. If your length was 24 inches and the aquarium's volume 8 gallons, I'd say you could even try a pair.

What matters most is not pushing the fish to the limit. If I were you I'd stock the tank with something from the Boraras genus.

Ashenwelt

No, I wouldn't try a pair. These are aggressive fish and if I remember correctly, polygamous. @Mike Wise can correct me on that one.
If you search the web for the profiles of the 2 dithers you proposed, you'll see that they require more than 8 gallons. As stated before, the length is what matters the most. If your length was 24 inches and the aquarium's volume 8 gallons, I'd say you could even try a pair.

What matters most is not pushing the fish to the limit. If I were you I'd stock the tank with something from the Boraras genus.

CPDs I know are traditionally done in 5s, the dwarf... defends on which version. Those in a five I know well. :)

bbetta

5 Year Member
I wouldn't personally put them in a 5, but I wouldn't say that it can't happen. They'll be much better off on your 8G, anyway!
Do you know the length your tank will have?

Ashenwelt

I wouldn't personally put them in a 5, but I wouldn't say that it can't happen. They'll be much better off on your 8G, anyway!
Do you know the length your tank will have?

Its the old Flora it looks like, so 11.8”D x 11.8”W x 13.7”H. However will be heavily scaping it. My current though includes a canyon, and maybe a cave. Also very heavy vegetation with broken site-lines throughout. Its a contest so I need to play some with the design.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do what you wish. We give you our opinions, based in my case on 40+ years of apisto keeping. You don't seem to like it. That's your privilege. But please don't complain if things don't work out the way you want them to be.

Ashenwelt

Do what you wish. We give you our opinions, based in my case on 40+ years of apisto keeping. You don't seem to like it. That's your privilege. But please don't complain if things don't work out the way you want them to be.
Mike you recommended the Borrelli lol.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ashenwelt

Yes, but only a single specimen.

I am not set on a pair. But you did think I may get away with it.

I hope it really isn't dirty!:) A single apisto can be kept in a 5 easily. The only apisto pair I'd keep in a 5 is A. wapisana (rarely imported and rather plain). You might get away with a pair of A. borellii, but you need to keep an eye out for aggression. They are cichlids after all. And, if they breed, a 5 won't handle everyone.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My advise still is the same: You might get away with a pair of A. borellii, but you need to keep an eye out for aggression. They are cichlids after all." If it doesn't work out well, then you'll have to accept the outcome.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….