• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Intolerant a. Trificiata female

Mac

Hey every one,

I purchased a trio of females and a couple of males a few months back.
The lfs had only these five so grabbed the lot.
To clarify the second male is housed in his own tank. Once they arrived at my fishroom.
Put then through qt proccess. And proceeded to try and breed them. But ended in disaster.
Once they were in a 20g heavily planted wood tank full of leaf litter flower pots things were fine for a day. Checked on them in the am before work. All was fine. Came home. One female had no jaw at all. She was alive. But put her down. The other female had no tail or much fins left at all dead. And the male was ripped to bits virtually dead. He died later that night.

Since then i havnt tried a thing. Left the grumpy female alone. She comes on off bright yellow every few weeks. And if i go near the tank she darts out and tries to have a go at me. If i go into the tank with my hands she will dash out for a nip.

Is it normal for them to be that aggressive??
Any chances of still possibly trying to breed her??

As for more stock that is very hard in nz. Hence why I wanted to breed them. We have to wait upto a year for more. If not longer depending.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
They are an aggressive Apistogramma sp.

I didn't have problems with the females, but the males fight with one another from a very young age, and I didn't have enough tanks to be able to separate them.

The other problem I had (which you won't have) was that they aren't very saleable as juveniles (small, grey expensive fish) and nobody wanted them locally where I live.

cheers Darrel

Bart Hazes

That is well beyond the kind of aggression I have seen in the different apisto species I have kept. Even when breeding I rarely see fighting to the point of damage. On occasion I have a fish die from aggression (just yesterday a young male baenschi got harrased to the death by a pair of A. sp. Abacaxis) but they always seem to die without external damage and I wonder if there is internal damage or if stress truly can kill them. It looks that way. A. trifasciata is a beautiful fish I'd like to own someday but now I know I better have one of my larger tanks ready for them.

I haven't sold any of my fry until the males started to show their colours. Until then they are not that attractive and many here just want a male or a pair so I assumed there was no point in trying to sell at an immature state. As my number of species and fry go up that starts to become a problem. I now have some arrangements with stores but I expect they want to be able to sex them as well.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Hey guys,

Yes the trificiata as really stunning.
The display the males do is stunning.

What i am thinking is wait until my new rack is built. And add another 20g long or maybe a custom one to the system so i can have plenty of space for trying to spawn. Also in the process sniff around as much as possible for some more females.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….