• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

information needed

Troglodyte

5 Year Member
Can some of you folks explain to me how you go about attaching a photo of the Apisto to be identified in to this thread? Sorry to be a hassle but not very good with the net yet.:confused:

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
sign up for a free account with someone like photobucket, upload your image(s) then when you want to post your image click the insert image button above (when in creating a post) and insert the URL given to you by photobuckt into the pop-up, hope this helps

Andrew

Troglodyte

5 Year Member
Thanks Konigwolf,
Hopefully if Ihave done this properly it should show you my Apisto that needs an ID. I have an idea of what I believe it is from the Uwe Romers ID chart. I just want to confirm that I am using the chart correctly. Thanks for your help.

fish4025.jpg

fish3012.jpg

fish3032.jpg

Mike you mention Kowolsky's ID book which you state would help alot of people if they read it. Can you provide more information on it please.
Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know that your ID is wrong without even knowing what it is! You see, this species is not in Uwe's atlas, but it should be in volume 2. The triangular shape of the caudal patch (easily seen on the female) is diagnostic for A. sp. Pebas.

Koslowski's 2002 book explains how to differentiate different closely related species primarily by using the black markings on the fish. Unfortunately the book's photos were poorly printed, but this has been eliminated in the DATZ Special Publication (Sonderheft) on dwarf cichlids. Koslowski's book is in German only, so if you don't read German you will definitely have problems. I have permission from the author & publisher to sell English translations (when I finish editing & updating it). Right now I have other projects that are taking my time, but hope to have it done early next year.

Troglodyte

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,
Looks like I will have to try and get a better understanding of the id flowchart. I had it down to Apisto Commbrae but did not feel the colours matched up. No problems need to get the practice in now. Appreciate your information. Atleast now I know what it is.:)
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….