• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

info needed on geophagus brasiliensis

fishtanker

5 Year Member
there was only one artical on this fish could find it did not tell you alot what was needing to know ive got one male and one female to gether had to take othere female out as the pair where chasing her all the time is it one male to two females or just one on one the male is 4 inch and the female 3 inch she is very fat at the miniute he has picked a pot she goes in it he will not let her out is this normal

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Geophagus brasiliensis (or any of the species that come in under this name) is not a dwarf cichlid, growing well over 8"/25 cm. I doubt that your male is forcing his mate to stay in the pot. It is more likely that he is guarding the entrance. Check in with us, in about a week, and let us know how many fry you see. This species can have over 1000/spawn, but at the size they are now they probably will have more like 500.

fishtanker

5 Year Member
the male

the male is pushing female around the only time is happy is when she is in the pot that he pick they are in four foot tank on there own once she goes in the pot he makes her stay there if she goes to come out he bullys her back in this has been going on for few days they both got breeding suits on there colours are nice his and hers fins have gone black so some thing is going on as my discus when they breed there fins and coluors are great

fishtanker

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Geophagus brasiliensis (or any of the species that come in under this name) is not a dwarf cichlid, growing well over 8"/25 cm. I doubt that your male is forcing his mate to stay in the pot. It is more likely that he is guarding the entrance. Check in with us, in about a week, and let us know how many fry you see. This species can have over 1000/spawn, but at the size they are now they probably will have more like 500.
you where right got up today there was a mass of young there must be about 700 of them not bad for first batch

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrathian

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….