• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm confused...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK.. I have not had any of the forum's icons for about a month... until this morning. It is cool that I am getting them again. Now, noone posted pics are coming up though. Are we not supposed to be posting pictures? I thought that rule had changed... sorry if it did not.

Gary

Site Admin
5 Year Member
I wasn't aware of the icon problem, but glad it is working again for you.

I will need to ask Neil about the image question but as far as I know nothing has changed....

Image links can be posted, not hotlinks or images themselves. There are several reasons for this policy, for the most part to protect the owners of the images and for forum speed / size / bandwidth usage.

Gary

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
No problem Gary. I thought that I remembered seeing a post recently on how to load images, and then there seemed to be an increase in images on the forum.

As far as protecting the rights of the poeple who own the images, it seems to me that the vast majority are woned by the people posting them, and the few that are not have been well cited.

Neil

Ted and everyone else!
The ability of this forum to handle a large amount of posted (large) images is marginal. In recent months, many large pics have be directly posted. It is our hope that most images can be linked on posts to avoid a slowdown of the forum and a possible increase in cost of running the forum, which I really can't afford at this point! Gary is trying to find a way now of eliminating the ability to post large images, while still posting image links and maybe small (file) sized images.
While this has been in the works, he has disabled most images, including URL, font color, etc. I think that he has gotten some of it back up, but not all. Hopefully, he will work it all out soon.
In the future, if many are interested in direct image posting, we may want to discuss bring advertisers on board or seek donations from the members to give us that ability.
Thank you,
Neil

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Neil said:
Ted and everyone else!
The ability of this forum to handle a large amount of posted (large) images is marginal. In recent months, many large pics have be directly posted. It is our hope that most images can be linked on posts to avoid a slowdown of the forum and a possible increase in cost of running the forum, which I really can't afford at this point! Gary is trying to find a way now of eliminating the ability to post large images, while still posting image links and maybe small (file) sized images.
While this has been in the works, he has disabled most images, including URL, font color, etc. I think that he has gotten some of it back up, but not all. Hopefully, he will work it all out soon.
In the future, if many are interested in direct image posting, we may want to discuss bring advertisers on board or seek donations from the members to give us that ability.
Thank you,
Neil

image posted to the forum from a remote site cannot increase your bandwidth traffic. this how internet work.
about remove the the ability post image , you have just to remove the bbcode and shut off the html.
switch bbcode to off is on my opinion a bad things.
this remove the good looking of the forum :(

and tha will do the trick.

Gary

Site Admin
5 Year Member
Its not just a question of apistogramma.com bandwidth. It's also a question of who owns the picture? If the owner posts a link to a picture thats fine, it's his/her picture to do what he/she chooses. But if the image is not owned by the poster then the forum is not onlystealing someone property(the image) but also the original owners bandwidth to display the image. (the image has to come from someplace)

Who is going to check that every image is posted by the rightfull owner? Who will be responsible if copyrighted images are posted to the forum without permission?

I believe this forum is a great resource for it's users and I am trying to keep it as useful as possible. I hope to have a solution soon.

Gary

farm41

5 Year Member
I like the idea of linking the pictures from another site, I have been to many forums where posting pics was very heavy and the loading time was very slow, sometimes just a crawl for us dial up users. Sometimes I just want to reread a post and not have to wait for all the pictures to load.

Just my $0.02

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Gary,

i am complety agree with you on the problem of copyrigth.
but it is not only apsitogramma.com problem , it is the problem of the whole internet.
it is how the network and protocol is done the problem.

so you have 3 solutions :

1 - remove all bbcode and switch html to off
2 - Remove the bbcode in the code itself and put html off
3 - let people put pics from somewhere else

PS: i can provide the way to remove the [img] bbcode

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natrickshwaxey

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….