• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identify this

Neil

Although the the characteristic diagonal trifasciata stripe is not visable in the picture, I tend to agree.

kross,
I have placed URL tags, replacing the IMG tags, on your pic. It was way too large. Please refer to the image posting rules.

Thanks,

Neil

kross

5 Year Member
Btw, how many variant are there for Tri? Bought mine stating as "Gupore Red" which has a red or orange finnage.

Neil

Some lumpers place maciliensis and sp. "Mamore" in with trifs. Also there are several collection locations of trifs, as well as variability from the conditions that they are kept in. As far as distinct species-forms, maybe Mike Wise has that info. I am kind of interested too.

Neil

Apistt_ed

I don't think there are even variants of A. Trifasciata! I have seen more than one color in one brood of fish with the same parents. The original pair I had were straight silverish color without any color what-so-ever, and their first clutch had males with the deepest red color on the finnage and some that had yellow and orange fins also. The one you have there is regularly labeled as Guapore Reds but I doubt it being even different from any other trifasciatas. The ones that I have kept in optimum conditions, i.e low ph, very soft acidic water, constant temp, and a good diet seem to get better colors and it wouldn't surprise me to say that because they're collected at multiple sites with different water parameters, that's the only difference between them. Again, I think its only people wanting to get a piece of the pie in having/finding/naming a "different" strain when I doubt they actually are. that's my guess.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Apistt_ed. There is only one A. trifasciata. The only different color morphs are the blue morph that comes from the upper Rio Guaporé and Rio Paraguay, and the Guaporé morph collected in the middle to lower Rio Guaporé. The Guaporé morph shows a golden color above the lateral band, but this is probably an environmental effect. Even specimens of A. sp. Mamoré from the middle to lower Guaporé show this golden area.

Speaking of A. sp. Mamoré, this species is not A. maciliensis. It is related to A. trifasciata, but other than that does not conform to descriptions of A. t. maciliensis by Haseman (1911) nor A. t. haraldschultzi by Meinken (1960). Jeff Cardwell brought back some A. trifasciata from Bolivia recently that closely match the above descriptions. It probably is the same form that Haseman described as A. trifasciata maciliensis. Jeff's fish, like A.t.maciliensis & A.t.haraldschultzi were collected only in lakes. In my opinion there isn't enough difference in dark markings for them to be considered anything but a lake-dwelling form of A. trifasciata.

Apistt_ed

Speaking of A. maciliensis and A.sp Mamore` Mike, are they one in the same or are they not? I have recently aquired a group of these guys and all it said was that they are A. Maciliensis Mamore`. So, I was wondering if they were indeed the same fish or are they separate? That's the name I was given and yet I don't really know where to start to maybe id them if they are two separate fish and which do I have or just not worry about it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are two different species. As I wrote previously "A. maciliensis" is NOT a valid species, only a lake-dwelling morph of A. trifasciata. A. sp. Mamoré is a separate, scientifically undescribed species. The problem is that Aqualog, Mayland & Bork, and Römer (as did I) all misidentified A. sp. Mamoré as A. maciliensis in the past. Commercial operations use these books for identification. Unfortunately in this respect, they are misidentified. If your fish came from the Rio Mamoré, then it almost certainly is A. sp. Mamoré.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….