• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

id please

Neil

jimjon,

I don't know! Maybe you could try a google search. A. urteagai is shown in several of the books on Dwarf Cichlids. Might be a good idea for future referance to order one. They are invaluable. There are a few posts on books in this forum to give you some ideas.

jimjon

5 Year Member
o ok thanks, actually i'm trying to figure out if i gotten any females, i have 6 pcs but they all look like males to me. is this apisto commonly found? they look quite dull in colors to me.

Z Man

5 Year Member
To mention again, the sex of Apisto's can many times be recognized by the color of the leading edge of the ventral fins. Usually the females have a sold black marking there and it is a little stubby. The males usually have no black there and they have a small thread-like extension at the end. Some species are more difficult than others and sometimes it takes a long time for this to show up well. With 6 specimens you have a very good chance that you have at least one pair.

jimjon

5 Year Member
Z-man, am i right to say that most females are also significantly smaller than the male?

Z Man

5 Year Member
Usually the females are smaller but not knowing the age of your specimens both sexes could be the same size. I was reading up on A. urteagai in Romer's new book and he mentions that that both fish have rounded tails. If that is true with your's it is probable they are Urteagai as Neil states. Even at a smaller size both sexes will look identical. Only time will tell.

jimjon

5 Year Member
Z-man, thanks for the info.

In your opinion, is the one in my link above a female or male? its about 2.5 cm in length including tail.

btw is it possible to directly display the pics stored in yahoo's photo ablum here in this forum?

Z Man

5 Year Member
jimjon, This is my third try answering your request. For some reason the site will not accept my reply today. I hope I make it this time.
I have looked at the photo about 6 times and I am guessing a male because: The blue marks under the eye, blue color right after the 2 black dorsal rays, the little thread on the end of the ventral fin; the pointed end to the anal fin but I can not see the end of the dorsal so clearly. In time the lateral line in the male should be solid but the female will have short unconnected dashes. Just a guess on my part.
Possibly in a little while you will be able to notice size difference and one or more of the specimens turning more yellow which would be the sign of a female.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….