• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Please!!!

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hi, I buy this apisto as Apistogramma Gephyra, but other people say it's agassizii, could help me to identify, which would be the correct name and location of this apistogramma thanks, Greetings

Male
_DSC0723.jpg

Female
_DSC9980.jpg

Pair
_DSC0716.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is difficult to separate the 2 species based on just a few photos, but based on the shape of the caudal, the shape of lateral band in your displaying male, and the prominent darker scale edges below the lateral band I would say that this is a form of A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). I could be wrong, of course. Additionally, the female is odd for A. gephyra. I can't recall ever seeing a specimen of female A. gephyra with extensive rows of caudal spots. Are these domestic or wild specimens?

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
It is difficult to separate the 2 species based on just a few photos, but based on the shape of the caudal, the shape of lateral band in your displaying male, and the prominent darker scale edges below the lateral band I would say that this is a form of A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). I could be wrong, of course. Additionally, the female is odd for A. gephyra. I can't recall ever seeing a specimen of female A. gephyra with extensive rows of caudal spots. Are these domestic or wild specimens?
Thanks Mike Wise for you response, they are F1 tank raised. what do you think?

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
It probably is Netz, but it could be A. gephyra, too. I'd need many more photos of the fish in various moods to be sure. To be absolutely positive I'd need their little bodies preserved in ethanol.o_O
ok Mike, I will upload more photos of them. Greetings

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These photos are quite helpful. First, these are not A. gephyra. Second, they are not a single species. The deformation in the rows of scales on the caudal peduncle indicate that these are hybrid fish. We commonly saw this type of deformity in crosses between A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefé in the 1990s/2000s. My guess is that someone was trying to make quick money by selling them as something they are not. Sorry.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
These photos are quite helpful. First, these are not A. gephyra. Second, they are not a single species. The deformation in the rows of scales on the caudal peduncle indicate that these are hybrid fish. We commonly saw this type of deformity in crosses between A. agassizii and A. sp. Tefé in the 1990s/2000s. My guess is that someone was trying to make quick money by selling them as something they are not. Sorry.
Thank you very much for your help Mike, I think they sold me the wrong fish. well thanks Mike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….