• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID help

Nick123

Hi, these came in as wild agasizzi, but I am confident that ID is wrong. I separated a pair (I think) that I hope will color up soon but any info helps!
IMG_8387.jpeg
IMG_8389.jpeg
IMG_8386.jpeg
IMG_8393.jpeg
IMG_8394.jpeg
IMG_8400.jpeg
IMG_8399.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
It's either a resticulosa-complex species, e.g. A. sp. Wangenflecken, or A. sp. Steel-blue. In the latter species males develop a pronounced caudal pattern consisting of vertical stripes. So watch out for this feature.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Frank that it probably is a resticulosa-complex species, but it doesn't look like A. sp. Wangenflecken to me. This species shows vertical bars that are more bowed. To me it looks like one of the many A. taeniata-like species.

Nick123

It's either a resticulosa-complex species, e.g. A. sp. Wangenflecken, or A. sp. Steel-blue. In the latter species males develop a pronounced caudal pattern consisting of vertical stripes. So watch out for this feature.
I agree with Frank that it probably is a resticulosa-complex species, but it doesn't look like A. sp. Wangenflecken to me. This species shows vertical bars that are more bowed. To me it looks like one of the many A. taeniata-like species.
Here are some updated pictures for you! Let me know what you think
IMG_8777.jpeg
IMG_8782.jpeg
IMG_8786.jpeg
IMG_8771.jpeg
IMG_8768.jpeg

The male has this bright fluorescent blue to his body that doesn’t get captured well on camera

Nick123

Some more photos
IMG_8868.jpeg
IMG_8927.jpeg
IMG_8907.jpeg
IMG_8908.jpeg
IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8837.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

Attachments

• IMG_8908.jpeg
    IMG_8908.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 12

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
A. sp. Steel-blue and A. (cf.) taeniata are ruled out because they show a pronounced pattern of vertical bars in the caudal fin. So your fish are either A. sp. Wangenflecken or one of the A. (cf.) resticulosa forms. Because of the lack of any pattern in the caudal, the very short lateral band, the vertical bars being present mostly in the upper half of the body and the body height, I tend towards A. sp. Wangenflecken.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I admit it is an odd species. To me the caudal spot is too large and set to far back on the caudal peduncle, seemingly mostly on the caudal fin itself. That plus the bars still appear to be much less bowed than on Wangenflecken. The face of the male, however, does strongly resemble that of some specimens of Wangenflecken in its color pattern. Whatever it is, it is a very nice apisto.

Nick123

A. sp. Steel-blue and A. (cf.) taeniata are ruled out because they show a pronounced pattern of vertical bars in the caudal fin. So your fish are either A. sp. Wangenflecken or one of the A. (cf.) resticulosa forms. Because of the lack of any pattern in the caudal, the very short lateral band, the vertical bars being present mostly in the upper half of the body and the body height, I tend towards A. sp. Wangenflecken.
I admit it is an odd species. To me the caudal spot is too large and set to far back on the caudal peduncle, seemingly mostly on the caudal fin itself. That plus the bars still appear to be much less bowed than on Wangenflecken. The face of the male, however, does strongly resemble that of some specimens of Wangenflecken in its color pattern. Whatever it is, it is a very nice apisto.
Interesting! What do you think I should call it then? Is there anything I can do better to help identify the fish?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting! What do you think I should call it then?
I can't give you a name, sorry. One thing I will say is that Wangenflecken does not occur with any form of A. agassizii that we presently know about. There is one species of the resticulosa-complex that is little known but has similar, but not identical, features and does occur in the same area as A. agassizii - and an area that is still collected commercially - is A. cf. resticulosa (Arapuanã) A15.
Is there anything I can do better to help identify the fish?
I guess that you could send me a preserved specimen and I can compare it to my preserved Wangenflecken specimens and some other resticulosa-complex species. I doubt that you want to do that however.

Nick123

I can't give you a name, sorry. One thing I will say is that Wangenflecken does not occur with any form of A. agassizii that we presently know about. There is one species of the resticulosa-complex that is little known but has similar, but not identical, features and does occur in the same area as A. agassizii - and an area that is still collected commercially - is A. cf. resticulosa (Arapuanã) A15.

I guess that you could send me a preserved specimen and I can compare it to my preserved Wangenflecken specimens and some other resticulosa-complex species. I doubt that you want to do that however.
I was told they came in as WC A. Agassizii. Either way it is an exciting fish to have and I look forward to trying to spawn them! Do you think the female is the same species?
IMG_8907.jpeg
IMG_8843.jpeg
IMG_8868.jpeg

Also I am planning on setting up another tank for them, what color sand would you recommend to make the blue on the male pop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zola23

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(