• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID confirmation: A. ortegai 'pebas'

Iormungand21

Howdy everyone,

I just picked up some new Apistos at my LFS yesterday, and wanted to get a confirmation on the species as they are a bit less common than average.

They were listed as "Apisto pebas 'red'"

Pretty sure that means Ortegai from the pebas river, from my research. But wanted to consult the fine folks here.

Attached a few photos. (dont mind the poor lil guy with the misfigured dorsal fin)

Attachments

• 20220619_211122.jpg
    20220619_211122.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 160
  • 20220619_153257.jpg
    20220619_153257.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 149
  • 20220619_153142.jpg
    20220619_153142.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 147

MacZ

They are from the Regani-group for sure.

But for A. ortegai "Pebas" (correct nomenclature), they seem a bit bulky and high backed to me. Mine were tiny bit more elongated in overall shape. On the other hand these here are quite young. I would let them grow and colour up before finally settling for a variant.

Iormungand21

They are from the Regani-group for sure.

But for A. ortegai "Pebas" (correct nomenclature), they seem a bit bulky and high backed to me. Mine were tiny bit more elongated in overall shape. On the other hand these here are quite young. I would let them grow and colour up before finally settling for a variant.
Thank you for weighing in! Ill definitely get some pictures in a bit when they put get some more size on them, they are definitely still quite young. My LFS tends to specialize more than most with south american fish, but figured id look for a second opinion with such a specific species and locale (not sure on the 'red' part of their labelling, maybe some aquarium-bred line?).

The body shape is interesting with how tall-backed they are! Very different than the other apistos I breed (Trifasciata and Elizabethae)

MacZ

(not sure on the 'red' part of their labelling, maybe some aquarium-bred line?).
Frankly, tradenames are useless. Every importer, breeder, wholesaler and retailer can name the fish whatever they want and sell them under any name they want that differs from the accepted names. Most often somebody with no detailed knowledge fills in the name from the shipping note, stocklist or order form in the store labels and that's it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Agree with mac about commercial names. Based solely on dark marking I see the these photos they do appear to be A. cf. ortegai (Pebas). Pebas is not a river but a town at the mouth of the Rio Ampiyacu. Whether or not your fish are pure or hybrids is hard to say based on what you show. The ortegai-subcomplex is a bit confused right now and mixing of species around Pebas has been caused by local collectors. Even the type material for A. ortegai is a mix of species.

Iormungand21

Just sharing a couple better photos now that they've had a bit of time to settle in. They are coloring up very nicely!

Attachments

• PXL_20220627_030556805.jpg
    PXL_20220627_030556805.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • PXL_20220627_030553115.jpg
    PXL_20220627_030553115.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 138

MacZ

Here's mine for comparison... either it's the light of your's are missing most of the reds.

MacZ

So about 2 cm? Then there's still time. But as Mike said. A. ortegai are really hard to doubtlessly ID.

MacZ

MacZ's fish appears to be the holotype form of A. ortegai. The dark markings on your fish appear to be a different species, A. cf. ortegai (Pebas).
Interesting. You gave me A. cf. ortegai "Pebas" as the ID for my fish two years ago. Admittedly, you were not 100% certain back then. And the fish has passed since.

Iormungand21

Just an update as the dominant male has colored up a bit more (And I got an amazing shot of him)

Attachments

• PXL_20220715_143419245.jpg
    PXL_20220715_143419245.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) to me. It most closely resembles the color form in the photo by Koji Yamazaki in Matsuzaka's 1996 book "South American Dwarf Cichlids".

Iormungand21

Looks like A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) to me. It most closely resembles the color form in the photo by Koji Yamazaki in Matsuzaka's 1996 book "South American Dwarf Cichlids".

Thank you for weighing in as always! Confirms they are what they were labeled as. At least minus whatever the 'red' part of the label was referring to. Was listed as "Apisto sp 'pebas' red"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….