• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID and sexing A. Viejita

jenniferfalek

Hello everyone,

A long time ago i bought this pair, with the name Apistogramma Viejita.
I've asked you before if this is the Viejita and if i had a male and female.
At that moment i was told to have 2 males, but i guess my female wasn't in such a good condition, and now is. So i still think i do have a pair, and i would like to know if you could confirm this.
Also i'd like to know if i really have the Viejita. I hope to hear from you.

The photo's i showed you before (like 3/4 months ago.
Female
IMG_0167b.png

Male
IMG_0211b.png

The photos taken a few days ago
Female
IMG_0734.png

Male
IMG_0774.png

Together
IMG_0639.png

The male looks a bit thin, but that was because he had worms. Now he is healty again.

Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I would say that you have a nice pair of A. macmasteri, not A. viejita. A. viejita males have an oval caudal fin, among other distinguishing features

jenniferfalek

Well, I would say that you have a nice pair of A. macmasteri, not A. viejita. A. viejita males have an oval caudal fin, among other distinguishing features

Just one more question, what do you mean with oval caudal fin? I cant see the difference. Could you show it to me with photos maybe?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos with oval fins have a curved posterior margin. They can be horizontally oval, like female A. agassizii, or vertically oval, like A. commbrae & A. viejita. Your A. macmasteri male shows a squared off or truncate caudal fin. I expect that as the male matures, he will develop short points at the top and bottom of the fin. True A. viejita never show such extensions. 99.9% of all A. viejita sold commercially are actually A. macmasteri.

jenniferfalek

Thank you!:D

Just one more question, she again has layed eggs, but she still takes care of her fry too. Is that normal? So quickly.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the size and decoration of the aquarium. Once the new fry become freeswimming (if not before) the female will try to drive the older fry away from her territory. If they can't get far enough away and/or can be seen, she will probably kill them. Now is the time to remove/separate the older fry from their mother. On some occasions, however, apisto females will allow 2 broods to mix if they aren't too different in size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….