• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID: A.cacatuoides or A.bitaeniata?

valice

5 Year Member
What species is this?

1927-simiapisto.jpg

fishgeek

nice looking blue cacatoides
or someone will correct me and call it a jurensis?! if so can your point out the differences to me to

thanks andrew

valice

5 Year Member
it was found in a bag of A.bitaeniata 'Purutu' in a Peru shipment...
hope this info will help to better ID him...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The chin markings look like those of A. sp. Black-chin more than A. cacatuoides. I think more photos of this fish are needed to be sure of the identity. It certainly is not A. bitaeniata.

valice

5 Year Member
Frontal shots required?
Will try to get some... Hopefully not sold in the shops yet...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
mike can you explain why this fish is different from a cacatoides?

andrew
still being id-challenged

The chin pattern seems to be more extensive on the fish pictured than is seen on A. cacatuoides. For those who own Römer's Atlas you can compare chin patterns of A. cacatoides & A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin (erroneously identified as A. juruensis) on page 79. I still am not certain which species is in the picture. A photo in fright pattern (or after being in the dark) would show whether or not the lateral band continues into the tail or if there is a separate caudal spot. Like A. juruensis, A. sp. Black-chin has a separate caudal spot. Right now I'm leaning toward it being A. cacatuoides with an unusually expansive chin pattern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….