• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have two for i.d.s please

Apistogramma sp. 3.JPG
Apistogramma sp..JPG
Apistogramma sp. 1.JPG
Apisto. sp.4.JPG
Apisto.sp.3.JPG
Apistogramma sp. 1.JPG Apistogramma sp. 1.JPG
Apistogramma sp. 1.JPG
Apistogramma sp. 3.JPG
Apistogramma sp. 3.JPG
Apistogramma sp. 3.JPG
Hello, from Seattle,
I have 2 Apisto types that were purchased as "store credit" for other fish types I take in to my L.F.S. on occasion.
The first photo's were labeled at the store as just Borellii (females?) Are these Steele blues? Sexing these are very diffucult as I got three of these at the same time and were told they were all female. I'm seeing one with a lot of "surface" blue that almost looks translusient, and blue especially in the face like an "opals" worm pattern.
Feed it live worms and it really intensifies!

The second 2 fish was not I.D.ed as this little "fish" only store (called the Fish Store) justed moved 2 weeks ago and these were brought over from the old store.
Records are in storage for now and they're willing to check the stock list these came in on months back in a week or so.
They were hiding on the bottom of the store's tank in black gravel under a large log and were in with a conglomerant of rainbows and tetra's.
They both were very dark brown in camoflouged mode and both had yellow under bellies with yellow pelvic finnage. Pics you see now are on light sand and moods are nuetral.
I see they may look like females of the Regani group but,, correct me if I'm wrong....?

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, you're right. The first fish is a member of the regani-group, but the fish is shown too small to see any of the fine dark markings. This makes ID a bit difficult. My guess is that it is a Steel-blue but could be wrong. The other fish is a member of the trifasciata-lineage of 'advanced' species. Again, the photos are not adequate for a decent ID (too pixellated, not many dark markings). It might be a member of the atahualpa-group, but again could be wrong.

Well after doing much research on these 2 fish #1 is a Steele blue male, and #2 are Hongsloi females
(I found great pics for comparision and also confirmed with store owner) where got these females from 3 weeks ago.
The only apisto's he's ordered in the 6 months are Cacatoides, Agassizi, Borellii, and yes Hongsloi,.
The males sold first as they're prettier to a novice and are sold per fish, not pairs.... So I scored on these 2 females for store credit. He's ordering more next week!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….