• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I.D. Question Check List

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is a list that Mike Wise posted in a different thread and I cut and pasted here. Incluiding any of the information asked about below in your fish I.D. posts will make things MUCH easier, quicker, and more accurate in terms of getting a response.

1. Do the photos show the fish's head/body shape accurately (as perpendicular to the camera as possible; not head on or tail on shots)?

2. Does it show the fish's finnage accurately (raised spines, spread tail)?

3. Does it show the fish's dark markings on the head, body and fins accurately? These are the most important diagnostic features on apistos. These dark markings are best seen on stressed/frightened males and females in a neutral mood. This is why it is helpful (to me) that photos of the female be provided if possible.

4. What was the name that the fish was sold as? Sometimes it hints at what it is; sometimes not, but it doesn't hurt to add this information.

5. How large is the fish in the photo? Juvenile/small specimens are next to impossible to identify down to species level. Size of mature specimens can be very useful.

6. Is the fish domestically bred? Most domestic fish are either accurately identified or at least have a commercial name that can be cross referenced.

7. Is the fish wildcaught? Wildcaught fish usually show diagnostic features better because they haven't been altererd by line breeding. If it is wildcaught, can you find out which country/region that the fish came from? If one can eliminate species from some areas, it helps to narrow down the possible species that it can be. Were there any contaminant (by-catch) fish in the shipment? Sometimes these 'oddballs' can indicate the country of origin of the apisto.

I know it is next to impossible to get all of this data, but if one can provide more information than just a photo, it can really help to identify your fish."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….