• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybrid?

arifhb

7FB767CF-8895-4E84-AE26-DCF33A5EADF3.jpeg

Hi everyone.I think this species is a cross of erythrura and trifasciata; What do you think is the situation?

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I think it's a regular A. trifasciata. When in aggressive mood the third stripe can vanish completely and the fins (in particluar the caudal) can turn redish (especially under certain lighting conditions). However, with closely related species like trifasciata and erythrura it's always possible that intermediate forms exist. But unless this fish shows a red caudal fin and, more importantly, no third stripe in other moods, I believe it to be A. trifasciata.

Last edited:

arifhb

I think it's a regular A. trifasciata. When in aggressive mood the third stripe can vanish completely and the fins (in particluar the caudal) can turn redish (especially under certain lighting conditions). However, with closely related species like trifasciata and erythrura it's always possible that intermediate forms exist. But unless this fish shows a red caudal fin and, more importantly, no third stripe in other moods, I believe it to be A. trifasciata.
It is said that it was imported from Czech, the tail color was always close to purple. Is it possible that there is a form between the two species? has such a trifasciata been reported to the taxonomy?

Thanks Frank

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I don't know of any wild intermidiate forms (not necessarily hybrids) of trifasciata and erythrura, but as I said, it's always a possibility with closely related species. If attempts to cross trifasciata and eryhtrura have been made, I would expect it to be done by commercial Czech breeders ;) What about the other specimens imported together with this one? Do they look the same? And what about the third stripe when the fish is not aggressive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….