• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to lower pH

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
Besides using peat in a bag, how can I lower the pH in my tanks?
I found some sources of humic acid - will that work? Can I make my
own by boiling peat for a while and using that as an additive?
I want to lower the pH yet not have to deal with peat directly. Any ideas?

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
This is a great product I use and it keeps my locked on to 6. Mind you i only used peat to layer the bottom of the tank during setup. And I have 1 large piece of driftwood.

I use Acid Buffer by Seachem. It contains no phosphate buffers which makes it great for planted tanks. It also is suppose to convert KH into CO2. I know that my PH is 6 with a KH of 1 if that.

2la

5 Year Member
Is CO2 injection a possibility? You could also try a fresh piece of driftwood or one of the proprietary blackwater extracts available.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use Acid Buffer, but it will increase the conductivity of the water. I tthink that it is a 'false reading', however, meaning that it is not addingf salts that actually increase the hardness. After a few hours the mS value goes back down. You can try adding Acid Buffer to water that you are aging if you are worried about an immediate increase in conductivity.

Randall

5 Year Member
Lowering pH

Ghazanfar Ghori said:
...this is for 10G tanks in my fishroom. I need to get the pH
down to 4 in some cases.

Dear Ghazanfar,

Buffers and the like notwithstanding, the best natural way to soften water and lower pH is through peat conditioning. I recommend that you treat in a separate recepticle and use the conditioned water to perform your water changes. This will lower your pH gradually, and you'll have the parameters you want in no time at all.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

If 4.0 is the intended pH, you will need to chemically "drive the pH down. Peat won't accomplish that result. Acid Buffer is probably going to be needed. About 5.5 and above is closer to the area that peat is effective. At least that is what I have found.
Neil

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
Thats for the replies guys! I think I'll go with Seachem Acid Buffer.

Just out of curiousty - how long does peat remain effective in
lowing the pH?

Ghazanfar Ghori

5 Year Member
I don't think we get ADA products in the US. Anyway, I got SeaChem
Acid buffer and its lowering the pH. It consumes KH so I have
to be careful or I may get a pH crash.

Scooter

5 Year Member
You can also lower the pH significantly by using only RO water and RO Right buffer. I don't think you will be able to get it down to 4.0 that way, but for those tanks where you only need to get it down a couple of points, you can.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….