• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to get dwarf cichlids to breed

andros

5 Year Member
hello ppl
i was just curious how hard it is to get apistogramma species to breed is there an easy way i was thinking of putting some shells into the tank for breeding purposus would you reccommend shells.
if you cannot get RO water is it nessaccary to use peat in the water to lower GH and what kind of things would you use to induce spawning?could you use blackwater extract? :?:
i am currently trying to breed cacatuoides,macmasteri,aggassizis,would anyone have any useful info on these kind of fish? 8O
i am also trying to get some more apistos what would you reccommend to buy?
thanks
andrew

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

You definitely don't want to put shells in your apisto tanks. They leach minerals in to the water that increase the hardness. Use coconut shell halves or clay pots. Driftwood with Java Moss and Java Ferns will help the apistos feel more comfortable. They like to have a pile or two of Oak leaves as leaf litter is part of their natural habitat, as is the driftwood.

I use peat water to lower my pH and hardness and it works great. How effective it is depends on the starting values (of your tap water). My water is soft and neutral to begin with so it works well for me. I've read of some water districts adding chemicals that buffer the pH and make it difficult to achieve good results. In this case you'll probably need to go the RO route. I prefer not to use chemcals myself. Cacatuoides don't require very acidy water but I find that when I do a water change with a little peat water, it often stimulates them to spawn.

Borellii are easy and I've had great luck with "Maulbruter". Macmasteri will probably need low pH and hardness. I don't have any experience with agassizi. Cacatuoides will do fine in neutral to about 6.5 pH water.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….