• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long it takes Agassizi to mature?

mordor

5 Year Member
I have had them for 5 months. They were 1 inch when I got them. I end up with pair, I guess. Female is a little less than 2 inches, male is 3. Female starts getting yellow recently but male still mostly attack her. When I add another female from different source male started divide his attacks among these two, female also attacks newcomer which turns almost entirely black. I guess my pair must be about 1 year old I hope they will spawn soon.

Neil

mordor,
Well they are definitely old enough and they are doing a lot of the preliminary spawning behaviors. The male will often attack the female right up to the point that she spawn and then the tides often turn and she is now the aggressor when he gets to close to the cave. The other female is probably a benefit, because it gives you a much better chance of breeding at least one (and maybe two). This is not only because there are two females, but also because there is a target to solidify the parental instincts of the paired fish. Good luck!! Neil

mordor

5 Year Member
It seems second female is incompatible with my male. She's double red Agassizi and male is just plain one. I have read that sometimes different forms of Agassizi cannot bread with each other. I am thinking about taking her out she spends most of the time behind internal filter and afraids to come out even for eating.

Neil

mordor,
I think that it is entirely possible for two forms of agassizii to cross. The female will probably recognize a male from her own form as being a more reliable match, but her breeding drive could easily allow her to breed, at least, within her own species. Males pretty much just want to perpetuate the species and will breed with any accepting female agassizii.
I would not be suprisedat all if the hiding female decides its time to breed and comes out looking for a date. As long as she is eating and has the protection of the filter, she is probably fine. At the very least she may well provide extra parental incentive to the other pair in the tank.Good luck, Neil

mordor

5 Year Member
It looks like my Aggasizi spawned week ago. I am waiting for fry to start swimming. The only question is if they can survive in community tank?

Neil

mordor,
Congratulations! I have almost always had some babies survive in a community tank, but usually not a lot. Although apistos are good parents, they also won't hold out protecting the young forever. The first day or 2 there will probably be none missing, but then, depending on the other fish in the tank and the parents, they will slowly start to drop off. If the female feels like it is an insurmountable task, she may eat the babies to give herself resources (nutrition) to spawn again.
If you can suck some of the babies out after they are free swimming, you will be giving yourself a better chance to grow-out more agassizii. Let us know what happens. Neil

mordor

5 Year Member
It seems that female decided that there was no chance to defend fry. No fry left but I am not sure which fish get them but it was female maybe other fish. When I came from work I have noticed that she lost her yellow color and also lost male's courtessy. He is now chasing her around.

Neil

mordor,
Sorry to hear that. I don't know how many times that has happened to me! I always leave the female in their to allow the male to help motivate her to not do that again. If it was someone else in the tank that ate the eggs, the female would probably still be pretty fired-up :evil: and the male probably wouldn't be harrassing her so soon. She would most likely still be maintaining her breeding color.
That happens. She will probably try it again in a couple of weeks! Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….