1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do i get rid of the bb algae on my Anubias???

Discussion in 'The Planted Aquarium' started by Cookie_apisto, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cookie_apisto

Cookie_apisto Member

I just notcied there are a little bit of bb algae starting to grow on the edge of the leaves and stem of my Anubias. How can I get rid of them?
  2. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    Anubias spp. are really prone to getting BBA.

You could try shading them a bit more, I like to have a <"cover of floating plants"> for a number of reasons, but one is that it helps with BBA.

If your water has some carbonate hardness then Red Ramshorn Snails are an option, they don't eat the mature tufts but they will graze off ,<"the sporelings">.

You might also be interested in a blog (from Kew Gardens in the UK?) <"Piranha III Algal hunter">. If you have a bit more time there are some very long (but inconclusive) <"BBA threads on the "UKAPS"> forum.

cheers Darrel
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. Happyfins

Happyfins Member

If it is not attached to wood you can soak it for a few minutes in 1:20 bleach solution, rinse carefully after. The "cooked" algae is cherished by algae eaters.