• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do i get rid of the bb algae on my Anubias???

Cookie_apisto

I just notcied there are a little bit of bb algae starting to grow on the edge of the leaves and stem of my Anubias. How can I get rid of them?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I just notcied there are a little bit of bb algae starting to grow on the edge of the leaves and stem of my Anubias. How can I get rid of them?
Anubias spp. are really prone to getting BBA.

You could try shading them a bit more, I like to have a <"cover of floating plants"> for a number of reasons, but one is that it helps with BBA.

If your water has some carbonate hardness then Red Ramshorn Snails are an option, they don't eat the mature tufts but they will graze off ,<"the sporelings">.

You might also be interested in a blog (from Kew Gardens in the UK?) <"Piranha III Algal hunter">. If you have a bit more time there are some very long (but inconclusive) <"BBA threads on the "UKAPS"> forum.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Happyfins

If it is not attached to wood you can soak it for a few minutes in 1:20 bleach solution, rinse carefully after. The "cooked" algae is cherished by algae eaters.

new2rams

5 Year Member
I spot treat with hydrogen peroxide 3% solution.it has done wonders in my tank.i use a syringe i got at walmart suck up 5ml of peroxide and squeeze it onto the bba.it will start to fizz and then it soon turns reddish color over time and the shrimp eat it.i do this weekly during water changes because you want to turn off your filtration so the peroxide does get blown all around not that its harmful you just need it to stay around the bba for a bit.i use this method anywhere i see bba.it might take a couple times but it works great.

Attachments

• 20190208_120209.jpg
    20190208_120209.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 430

CyberCoyote

Late to the thread, my anubias hasn't gotten BBA yet but it was building up on my wood and in my java moss. I was going to try the hydrogen peroxide but started dosing with excel and saw the BBA begin to die off. Still have green algae growing in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….