• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I get my Trifaciata to spawn

koty

5 Year Member
I have a pair that had fry at least twice in the community aq. now I moved them to a bare bottom 15 gal aq with some J moss and two half coconut shells.
The water is pure R/O and is filtered with a Rena XP1. Fish are fed mainly with live white worms and some frozen BW and high quality adult frozen artemia. The male seems anxious but the female is unwilling and got her tail chewed-up a bit after two weeks.
Is there a trick that i missed to convince them to spawn?
Is it possible that the temperature in the Israeli summer (27-30°C) is to high for them?
Thanks in advance
Koty

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Hi there
Im no expert but this has recently worked for me.

1. Reduce diet: feed a relatively poor diet (variety wise) for 2 weeks. I put mine just on a ghood quality flake with occasional (once a week) frozen daphnia.
2. Reduce water change: I didnt change my tank water for three weeks.

Then do a big water change (ie 50%) and feed up well with lots of live food..it worked for me..

Mike

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I agree with Noddy65, but I want to add something else:

When you do the big water change (50%), do it with water which temperature is 2º less than the water of the tank.

Good Luck!

M

mona o

I am no expert either, just bought my own 2 pairs of Trifasciata a couple of months ago. But now they are spawning for the third time:)
There are two females in two separate tanks guarding their eggs right now.

I keep the water very clean by doing small water changes a couple of times a week, followed by a larger one. I feed them twice daily, alternating with JBL Krill flake food, frozen artemia (adult brine shrimp), red blood worms (once a week) and I try to give them freshly hatched brine shrimps once a day or every second day.

This obviously is to their liking, since they're now spawning for the third time.
It didn't take many days on that diet before they spawned in my tanks:D

I have decorated my tanks with fine sand as substrate, wood and a lot of oak leaves scattered around on the bottom. They dig a pit under the leaves and there's where the females lay their eggs, hidden among the leaves.
Not much plants, some floating fine leaved plants and a few sword plants on the bottom. PH is around 6.5, very soft water with almost no hardness comes out of my tap. I don't do anything to alter the hardness.

ProF_FR

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have trifasciatas for a couple of year now and i do nothing special.

food is always rich with sometimes 1 or 2 days diet. water change is 30 % minimum every week with very very soft water, tank is planted and has many caves for them to hide.

i keep them at 27 ° C and the new water i put in the tank is always cold ( in winter very very cold like 5 ° C, temperature of the tank decrease by 5/6 ° max)

Heres my 2 cents

ProF

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(