• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from Portugal

Halekx

Hey guys,

Just discovered the Forum today and i'm really liking everything about it.
I'm from Faro in Portugal's southernmost region, Algarve. I'm 34 years old.

I've been keeping and breeding fish for quite a few years now. (i would say at least 15 years but can't really remember :))
I started with the basic... guppies, mollies, swords and the likes but my interest grew so big that shortly after i was assembling my first African cichlid tank... a 120 Liter Malawi tank.
Since then, I've had Discus, Tanganikas, Malawis again, Shrimp, Bettas...

For the past 2 years i had to stop fish keeping due to my "daddy" job but, I've now decided to re-start my 450 Liter tank with Apistogrammas.
I'm going for the "Triple red" Cacatuoides, which i must say are not easy to find here in the Algarve. Maybe some members can help with this.

I hope i can also bring something to the comunity, even though in this first stage, and since i don't have any experience with dwarf cichlids, i'm mostly here to learn.

See ya arround.

regani

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking hardscape for the new setup. To help the apistos feel at home I would add a few caves, although the females may start to dig out their own under some of those rocks

Halekx

see... i'm already learning... i wasn't aware Apistos were also diggers... if they do that, i'll have a huge problem in hands due to the substract :(

regani

5 Year Member
They are more sand/substrate sifters and won't try to dig out whole rocks, but will extend cavities e.g. under wood to make it suit their needs. So if the rocks are just sitting on sand, there may be a potential problem with things shifting. They definitely won't respect your nicely laid out areas of different substrates and will start to spit sand everywhere ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….