• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heyo from Sunny California ^^

Tannins

Hey there, I found this site after doing some apistogramma searches, and I think I'd like to set up a few posts and see what's going on. ^^ I'm now the proud owner of 2 apistogramma agassizi, thanks to aquaticclarity, they sent me two beautiful specimens that I've fallen head over heels for.

I prefer to make biotopes now adays... So I started with doing research and I came up with this so far.

430468_587110571307724_1580994807_n.jpg

Its a 20 gallon long, with about... 50 oak leaves, 2 branches of manzanita, 10 pounds of play sand (I think...) 1 aquaclear 30 hob filter, 1 aqueon whisper filter beside it, each with pre sponge filters.

The lighting is a T8 bulb set at... under 4800 kelvin, yellow hue.
Its kept at a solid 80 degree's and I've included two coconut huts for my apistogramma, the female prefers the left side of the tank and the male seems to prefer the riht side.

I've also added in about... 10 alder cones, its dropped my ph to about 6-6.5 and it stays this way even after water changes so I'm enjoying this as well, and hopefully so are the apistogramma.

Future stock Set up.

2 apistogramma aggy's
8-10 cardinal tetra's

I'm very much so enjoying this aquarium set, other then the price of the fish I've only spent about... 20 bucks to set this up, I collect my leaf litter at local locations, and I grab my own manzanita from some private property up near Tahoe.

I'm hoping to make a little bit of profit off of my manzanita, and hopefully this will allow me to buy a 29 gallon aquarium, and I can stock it

10 hatchet fish, 10 cardinal tetra, 2 apistogramma aggy's

Here are some pictures of my apistoramma ^^

934823_587110551307726_156935196_n.jpg

That's the male above ^^

Female is this little chicka :3

562493_586242451394536_180400738_n.jpg

Tannins

Lovely tank Tannins. Are you hoping for the two to breed?

Well hopefully they'll find this tank a suitable location to spawn at ^^. Not looking to become a breeder but I would enjoy them using the tank to do their business in.

Tannins

Reason I mentioned it was in a post earlier I was reminded that Cardinals might pick off fry.

Well that's something I'll deal with when it happens. As of now its just them and some rasbora that I'll be soon re-homing. I kept them in the tank because I needed my filters to stay cycled, ever since I did my aquarium switch aroo's.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! That's a beautiful tank you have there. Hopefully the pair loves it as much as I do and they spawn for you

Tannins

Welcome to the forum! That's a beautiful tank you have there. Hopefully the pair loves it as much as I do and they spawn for you

If I could speak fish I'd only ask how I could make it better for them! XD
Thanks so much for the compliment, and I feel very welcome to the forum, its very nice from what I've seen so far ^_^

lurch1000

I like this forum, sadly I have little to report on my cockatoos on a regulat basis other than the male appeared to be in a bad mood this evening!

Tannins

I like this forum, sadly I have little to report on my cockatoos on a regulat basis other than the male appeared to be in a bad mood this evening!

Hehe! I remember when I first added the fish into the tank, I was so excited I put them in near eachother, and BAM lip locked, I used a pair of tongs and held a leaf, and parted them to both sides of the tank, the male was PISSED, I was almost thinking I was given a betta fish with how much he flared!!! (I joke XD) but it was insane how angry he looked when first added into the tank, now he's more mellow.

Hope your little guy gets in a better mood! Cockatoo's are a beautiful species I almost considered them for my first cichlid but fell in love with the agassizi.

lurch1000

He's normally OK. Something is up between them, she's changed colour too. If anything is to come of it, should be soon I hope.

Tannins

He's normally OK. Something is up between them, she's changed colour too. If anything is to come of it, should be soon I hope.

Uhoh, D: I hope everything is okay!! Has anything changed in the tank recently? I notice issues always arise when something is added to the aquarium.

Tannins

My fish bred today ^_^ I nabbed the eggs from the female and took a picture of them, I also don't want anythin to live... as I'm not able to properly take care of any fry atm. But in the future sure ^_^ When i got space and want to set up another black water tank for them, As I'm in no want to make a profit off of my fish.

941552_592743984077716_1666410536_n.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….