• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with apistos

FabianUlSua

Yeah, I don't think those males are going to get along so well together long term.
They actually do, they don't even bother each other lol. I'm just trying to find a good home for them and the agassizzi's... it's just ironic the only pair I don't want to breed... breed often haha
IMHO the tank is still too open and too brightly lit/not enough floating plants.
Yeh it's just a holding tank for the extra apistos I don't want, currently working on the actual setups with my pairs :)

FabianUlSua

Little update, I added some leafs and wood... only changed the substrate on one of the tanks, because I don't want to disturb things so much.
Last week both agassizzi and cacs spawned! But they both also ate the eggs, the agassizzi on the second day and the cacatuoides on the third day, why do they eat the eggs and how long until they figure it out?

Attachments

• 20220329_134948.jpg
    20220329_134948.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
  • 20220329_134916.jpg
    20220329_134916.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 141
  • 20220328_154354.jpg
    20220328_154354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 143

FabianUlSua

They probably eat their spawn due to stress seeing other fish in the tank. Better to eat your spawn and get the nutrition from them than allow some other fish to eat them.
Yeah I know that but i only got some endlers and pencilfish on their tank. Today I removed a big clutch off eggs from the Agassizzi's, going to artificially hatch them, the fish are now spawning almost weekly and look way happier tho!
Ty for the help everyone, I'm going to keep updating :)

FabianUlSua

Each pair of apistos are in their own tank, am I right? If so something else is disturbing them, either inside or outside of the tank. Good luck with artificial raising. I have never been really successful at this.
Yes each tank on the photos are for 1 pair of apistos, I tought it could be they really never had enough cover... now that they do, they are getting used to actually spawning.
And I'm only artificially raising the first few batches of eggs just in case, after that I'm going to let them do their job

anewbie

IF the tanks are side by side you could put a piece of paper on the side so they can't see each other.

FabianUlSua

New and probably last update, cacs mom is with babies and I artificially hatched some agassizii fry aswell, the agassizii mom needs to figure out how to hatch them by herself still, hopefully next batch she will :)

Attachments

• 20220414_122520.jpg
    20220414_122520.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20220414-130419_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220414-130419_Gallery.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 155

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….